Chapter Twelve

Author's Note:

Hey guys! I can't tell you how excited I was about the feedback last chappie! Made me too happy! Anyway, thank y'all for commenting <3. And keep it coming ;)
I actually have surgery tomorrow and am confined to a bed for a few weeks, so I don't know when I'll have time to get to writing, but I promise as soon as I can, I will! 
Enough about me. 
Enjoy this chapter!

xoxo,
Q.

PS: This is before Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus broke up, so yes, I know they're done. Just, shhhh, don't tell Katy.

“Okay, so what does this mean now?” I ask, tossing him my basketball. He catches it and tosses it back to me.

“I don’t know.” He shrugs. “What do you want it to mean?”

“I don’t know.” I echo.

Emery laughs. “This is a really productive conversation we’re having.”

I groan. “I know. Can we just not talk?”

“Well, what do you wanna do?”

I let myself fall backwards on the bed, my head bouncing slightly when it hits the pillow. “Like I know.”

Emery lies down next to me and weaves our fingers together, stroking my thumb with his. It’s a nice feeling, laying there with him, our arms in contact as well as our hands as we both look up at the ceiling.

Emery’s about to say something, but I immediately jump in.

“Yes, the door’s locked.”

He smiles at me and I turn my head so we’re facing each other. We’re inches apart now.

“How did you know that’s what I was gonna ask?” he says, eyeing me with a suspicious smile.

I shrug, smiling back at him. With my right hand—the one that’s not intertwined with his—I softly touch his bottom lip. He closes his eyes and smiles. I move my finger to his dimple.

“This is what I meant.” I say, quietly.

“What?” he asks, opening his eyes to look at me.

I smile slightly. “When you smile. Your dimple.”

He laughs. “How the hell did you even notice that?”

“Are you kidding? It’s so freakin’ obvious! How do people not notice it?” I laugh as well and then after a small pause, I lean forward and kiss him again, unable to get enough of the sweetness hanging on his lips.

When I pull away, he leans up with me, as though unhappy to let me go. I hold myself up over him, my arms on either side of him above his shoulders.

Suddenly, something clicks inside of my brain and the smile drops off my face.

“Luke?” Emery says, immediately, worriedly.

“This is why they did that to you.” I murmur.

“What?” Emery says, leaning up even more to hear me better.

“This is why they beat you up all those times, isn’t it?” I say, more clearly now.

Emery looks away from me.

“Isn’t it?” I ask, loudly.

He bites down on his bottom lip and I want to kiss him so badly, but I hold back, waiting for his answer. Then he nods and I feel my heart drop into my stomach.