Chapter 80 - Old San Juan

I woke up to my alarm at 8:00 the next morning. I yanked myself out of bed, and tried to figure out clothes to wear. We were docked in Puerto Rico today, and the 4 of us were going to go to Old San Juan. We were supposed to debark at 9:30, but we were "VIP's" so they were having us leave at 9:00. I do not understand how this is a reward, it feels more like a punishment. I ended up straightening my hair and wearing a blue tank top and tan shorts.

"Are we leaving?" I asked, stepping out of my adjoined room.

"Yep." Lin said, pulling a backpack on.

"Yep." Vanessa said, dragging herself out of the bathroom, still brushing her teeth. "It's 8 in the morning, we're on vacation, but by all means, let's go."

"Woooo! Ow!" Lin yelled, "that's the Karen Olivo warm up." He clarified, "let's go let's go let's go!" He took the toothbrush out of Vanessa's mouth, and Sebastian ran around in circles cheering. "See! Homeboys excited!"

"I'll be excited once I have coffee." Vanessa reminded.

"Ditto." I said, putting my wallet into my purse.

"¡CAFÉ!" Lin yelled, he grabbed Vanessa's hand, and spun her around. "Mi espousa, mijo y mija, vamos a ¡PUERTO RICO!"

"Alright, we got this." Vanessa said, picking up Sebastian placing him on her right hip.

"Yep. We got this." I confirmed, swinging my purse over my left shoulder, following them out of the room.

We stopped for caffeine, which I mean, let's be honest, caffeine is to me as gas is to a car. I don't run without it, I mean, I don't run, but you get what I mean. We got off the boat at 9:00, and I immediately realized I was the only member of the family that had never visited Puerto Rico.

"So, we're taking you to Old San Juan." Lin announced, grabbing my hand pulling me towards the city. "You'll love it!" He shouted towards the sky. I laughed and followed.

"Mom!!!" I saw a little boy near me complaining to his mom, "it's so hot, I want to go sledding!" He pouted a bit, and I giggled.

"Well," I bent down next to the little boy, "they don't have bobsleds in San Juan." Right as I said this, I heard Lin laughing behind me. I stood up and returned on our little walk.

"You're my kid alright." He hadn't stopped laughing, "I don't know many teens who reference A Chorus Line, actually, I don't know many teens who know A Chorus Line."

"Hey, even I know A Chorus Line!" Vanessa yelled somewhat indignantly.

"Yes V, but you're not 15. The kids don't know the good stuff." He said, and I agreed, I mean I was a kid, but, no one remembers the good musicals.

We walked down until we got to something similar to a bus stop, but it was for a trolley, therefore far more exciting. We got on the trolley which was taking us down to Old San Juan.

"What exactly is this place?" I asked, "I mean, like, what are you supposed to do there?"

"Well... It's the oldest settlement in Puerto Rico..." He started but trailed off.

"Exciting." I said dryly.

"You can go shopping. There are restaurants."

"Oh, yay." I said, that actually sounded nice.

"Museums, churches, cafes.." He trailed off.

"Alright alright." I said, "I surrender, it sounds nice."

"Yes it does. Yes it does." He smiled to himself. We passed several blocks of houses. They were beautifully colored, bright pink and blues and greens. It was so pretty. The trolley stopped in a little block, with little shops and restaurants.
"¡Finalmente! ¡Mi isla!" Lin jumped off of the Trolley. I've never seen anyone this excited about being in Puerto Rico, although, he was Puerto Rican.

I followed him off of the trolley, and into a very tourist oriented gift shop. You know, the ones where they sell key chains with names like Hannah, Sally, Jack, Joe, Molly and Bob. They also sell mugs and t-shirts.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"We need to get you one of the touristy t-shirts, because you've never been here, and you just kind of need one of those shirts that inform everyone of that fact." He started looking through the store and I found Vanessa.

"Is this his way of getting back at me for not being Latina?" I asked.

"Probably." She shrugged.

"Alright then." I smiled a little.

"¡MIJA!" I heard him yell from somewhere in the gift shop. I followed the voice, and as I was making my way I found a t-shirt that actually read 'Not only am I perfect, but I'm Puerto Rican too!' I grabbed it and went over to Lin, "I found a shirt for you." He smiled showing me a shirt with a Puerto Rican flag and said 'I'd rather be in Puerto Rico.'

"Alright. One condition, you buy this too." I showed him the shirt.

"That is not a condition. I will wear this daily, because it is quite accurate." He took the shirt from me and payed for the two of them. "Hey qV! What do you think?" He asked showing her.

"Oh my gosh." She held her head in her hand, "Abigail?" She asked.

"Yep. You're welcome." I grinned, if I get a funny touristy shirt, he does too.

"Do you want one too? They have one that says 'I love my Puerto Rican husband'" He asked Vanessa, who just laughed her response. "Come on, we're all getting stupid t-shirts!" He took her hand and ran back into the store, they returned in about a minute, and Vanessa had a shirt under her arm, and even one for Seb, it just had a little picture of Puerto Rico on it with the design of the flag over it.

A couple hours later, we all stopped for lunch, and both Lin and Vanessa insisted we all get Mofongo, and yes, it was amazing. We got back on the boat at 7:00 and had dinner there. I had never been out of the country, and it was honestly extremely fun.

Sorry this is late, I'm in Disneyland with my friends

Thanks for reading

- Abi