19 - Realizations

Danny sighed as she leaned back against the stiff couch, calling Ray for what she swore was the thousandth time.

When Ray just ran off without a word Danny knew something was up. What, she wasn't sure, but she was smart enough to tell by the look in his eyes that whatever it was wasn't good.

And so she tried to come after him. Her parents told her to stay and after the way Ray treated Thomas -yet another thing she's yet to figure out- Aubree and Thomas were both dead set on her staying away as well, but she just couldn't.

She knew there was an edge to Ray but this was her first time really seeing it. In her eyes he was sweet, considerate, and surprisingly goofy when he felt comfortable enough to joke around. It wasn't that he was a perfect guy but he treated Danny the way she felt she deserved to be treated, made her feel things she'd always wanted to feel. So why did everything seem to be spoiling out of control?

Thomas was an ass for the way he was so blatantly rude and undeniably it was his fault Ray snapped but the way he snapped...well it was just something Danny wasn't prepared for. Not only did he attack Thomas, but he was so calm with it that you couldn't help but be afraid. Like he'd done it all before. He didn't listen when Aubree asked him to stop, not when Thomas did, and not even when she herself begged and pleaded. It was like turning on a beast only there was no off switch.

And she wasn't ashamed to admit that scared her.

She didn't come from the world Ray came from and didn't even realize there was another part of him that he was hiding her.

But the pieces were slowly beginning to fall in line.

Especially with all that Rowan had just told her.

-two hours earlier-

Danny could do nothing as Ray jetted, jumping in his car without a word and speeding off.

Part of her wanted to be offended that she'd been left standing on the side of the road, that he didn't even glance her way, but she wasn't completely foolish.

While she could have been dramatic and took it personally she had watched Ray take the call and seen for herself the way the color drained from his face and his muscles tensed. Before he even stood up she knew something was wrong.

"Is everything okay?" Danny's mother asked, wrapping herself in her Shaw as she stepped into the crisp night air. She's seen Ray run out with Danny close behind him while she was helping her husband clean up the living room area. Immediately she assumed the worse between the two of them and was defensive. It was Danny's father who had more of an open mind.

Which is exactly why Danny turned to him.

"Dad I gotta borrow your car."

"What?!" Now it was Thomas's turn to get defensive. "Danny you can't seriously be considering going after that prick!"

"While Thomas kinda asked for what he got, I think he's right sweetie," Aubree agreed, stepping closer and dropping a hand onto Danny's shoulder.

If there was anyone Danny would listen to it was Aubree. The two of them were more like sisters than best friends and Danny pretty much trusted her opinion on everything. Simply looking her in the face Danny knew what she was thinking. Ray was dangerous.

"Aubree he needs me," Danny pleaded for them to understand. She couldn't really know what Ray did or didn't need at the moment considering he left without a word, but what if he did need her? It's not like ray was a guy who was easily bothered. That phone had not only scared him hit her as well. What was going on? Was his sister okay? The kids?