PART 10, AUTHOR'S NOTE - 2/10/15, 9:14am

I'm so stupid.

I figured out what the cop must have done. He's been logging in using my password on whatever computer he uses, posting the Part 9 sections, and then logging back out.

I didn't even notice because I've pretty much just been trying to wait him out by sleeping a lot and otherwise tapping to Kyle—anything to keep my mind off how hungry I am. It didn't even occur to me to look at the computer until I decided to check in to see if I had any messages.

So here's obviously what happened. The cop must have realized that his starvation tactic wasn't working. So, instead, he figured out my Wattpad password. Which probably wasn't that hard to do. Stupidly, I was using "BK21814"—the first initial of "Bailey," the first initial of "Kyle," and the date I ran away from home with him: February 18th, 2014. If the cop was investigating me as a private investigator, he would have had all of that information. He probably only had to try a few passwords before landing on that one. Looks like choosing that sentimental password has cost me a lot.

Don't worry, though. I've changed my password to something totally random. So, from now on, I'm safe.

After my horror that the cop had posted Part 9 on my behalf, I was relieved about two things, at least.

The first was that I made sure that his own account is still blocked from viewing anything but Ashley's story. So he still can't see any of these personal posts. I have no idea if he read the author's notes up to this point while he was logged in to my account. But I have to assume that he did. He probably knows that I've been in communication with Kyle through the heating pipes. At least he still doesn't know our tapping code, though, so he can't possibly have been listening in. And from here forward, at least, he can't see any of the author's notes. I checked with Wattpad and they said that they'd even restrict any new accounts with the same IP address from viewing the author's notes sections. (The people at Wattpad HQ have been really awesome about this whole thing. They even tried to pinpoint the location of the IP address, but, unfortunately they couldn't because the connection's coming through a satellite AND apparently he's set up something called a VPN that blocks it.) At least, thankfully, the cop definitely cannot read the author's notes now, no matter what he tries.

The other relieving thing was that he'd included the scenes with Chris and Jimbo the cattle-truck driver. Those scenes ARE my writing. It's kind of important that I make that clear: THE CHRIS AND JIMBO SCENES ARE MY WRITING. I'd started working on Part 9 earlier, hoping that the cop would capitulate soon and let Kyle stay with me in my room. My idea was to work ahead so I'd be able to spend a little time with Kyle if I finally got to see him again and not have to be writing constantly. I got as far as the scene where Jimbo woozily drives the cattle truck away from Ed's property. I'd saved all that material as drafts without posting them. (I really like those scenes, too, so I'm glad at least they were included in the version of Part 9 that got published.)

But EVERYTHING AFTER JIMBO DRIVES AWAY IS THE COP'S WRITING. He added all of those parts himself.

And I honestly can't believe what he wrote.

I mean, he'd kept stipulating that I had to make Shawn a more sympathetic character. He mentioned that I had to make sure that Ashley would "do right by Shawn" before the book ended. So I suspected that he might have brought Shawn back into the the story.

But I never, ever suspected that he would do something like have Ashley sleep with Shawn.

Honestly, I'm still reeling. The whole story has changed now.

I don't know what I'm going to do about it just yet. I need to think.

All I know is that I'm not going to let him get away with this.