Act II: The Secret

Chapter 23

It was still too soon to determine the aftermath.

What, with winter break commencing that following Tuesday, many students opted to leave that very weekend. And it was no surprise that Penelope was among them.

Miren walked Rinzen's deserted campus as she contemplated another holiday alone. She pursed her lips against the cold air. It won't be that bad, she considered as she kicked some snow off her boots. She'd finally have some peace. And the idea of sleeping until noon was practically orgasmic.

She made it to the mess hall before realizing that it wasn't open. Spinning around, she thought of getting her homework out of the way. Then she could indulge in a vending machine lunch. Yum.

Crossing the greenery, which was blanketed in flecks of powder white snow from the brief snowfall last week, she let her mind wander to the inevitable. This would be the final semester, wouldn't it? She would no longer be able to hide in her illusion of an identity. She'd have to say goodbye to the school, her safe haven, to—

She bumped into someone before she realized it. Looking up, a thousand apologies spilled from her mouth. Until she realized who was standing before her.

"Jeno?" She lifted a brow. "I thought you left this morning."

"I left to get some travel supplies." He tossed her a duffle bag. Her duffle bag. "Now let's go. This campus is creepy. Even by my standards."

"You and I both know that's a dumb idea." She blinked. "Wait, where are we going?"

"My house," he said matter-of-factly, like he was asking her if she was hungry. Which she was, but she ignored her grumbling stomach for the bigger issue at hand. He narrowed his eyes at her. "You didn't really think I'd leave you here?"

"I don't know what you think," she replied through pursed lips, before pushing the bag toward him. "In any case, I'm not going. I can't."

"Do you trust me?" She hated the look in his eyes. They were more sentimental than serious, which meant she couldn't blow him off with a snide remark. Damn it.

"You know I probably trust you way more than I should." Miren sighed. "But the cafeteria's closed, and I don't entirely feel like having Cheez-Its for dinner." She motioned for the gates. "Lead the way."

Jeno's lip jerked up in something that resembled a smile.

***

They took the Amtrak to Philadelphia, and as Miren watched the landscape transform into a winter wonderland, her mind couldn't help but wander. To make matters worse, Jeno dosed off the minute the train began to move, but he did spend the majority of the other night convincing his parents that he didn't want to come home for the holidays.

For all she knew, she might have been the bargaining tool.

He leaned against her shoulder slightly, but she didn't know what to make of the gesture. She was finally comfortable being with him, but comfortable didn't mean romantic. And although something told her they'd still be friends even if they couldn't work out in such a regard, she had no desire to chance it.

Right?

She brushed a few hairs away from his face when no one was looking. He stirred lightly, but she turned her attention back to the window, the stretch of skyscrapers in the horizon. Her phone beeped. A text from Chara.