24 ∞ long time no see

[Rewritten. Formerly Chapter 24  ∞ "Looks can be deceiving".]

Day Six ∞ Wednesday

THERE WAS NO TIME for idle chatting at the auto shop. The stream of clients needing service and repairs kept Danny and the guys busy for the better part of the day. There were also several persons who came to buy parts from Mr. Myers' inventory. At one point he came out to the central area of the workshop muttering to himself, rubbed his head and said, "Listen up, boys! If you know of anyone interested in doing sales and inventory, let me know 'cause I really need a hand here." He returned back to his office.

Danny straightened himself from tightening the fan belt of a Chevvy. "What's that all about?" he asked Jason who was working in the next bay.

Jason paused and looked up at him. "Debs. She announced this morning that she's not returning to help out with the family business. Something 'bout it doesn't fit her image. Dad wasn't happy about it at all."

"Ha. That doesn't surprise me."

"I think she only stuck around that long because you're here. Now I think she thinks a different tactic might work."

"Really now? And what's that?"

"Like... 'absence makes the heart fonder', or some such thing."

Danny chuckled. "Won't make a difference."

"We know. But she hasn't got that into her head yet."

Later Danny went for his lunch box and joined Nathan at the bench where they usually took their break. "Hey, Nate. Tell me something. Do you still have that Honda bike since you upgraded?"

Nathan looked at him in surprise. "Yeah, why?"

"You selling?"

"What happened to yours?"

"Nothing. My friend just wants her own bike."

"Oh, okay," Nathan said, raising his brows. "Sure. I'll sell it to you. Debs not interested in it so there's no more handing down going on with that one. It just needs some servicing."

"Great! So how much?"

"Five hundred bucks." Nathan looked at Danny smugly. "But"

"What? For that old thing? Aww c'mon, you've got to be kidding!"

"Nope, not kidding. And it's not older than your ride. But... I was going to say when you so rudely interrupted me... that that's if you're buying..."

Danny eyed him suspiciously.

"But if she's buying, then it's one hundred bucks. But only if she comes and gets it herself." Nathan smirked, looking rather pleased with himself.

Jason who'd been eavesdropping burst out in laughter. "You're a total bastard, you know."

"I know. Ain't I good?"

"Hold on!" Aaron came up to them with Ray on his heels. "What did I just miss?"

"He's blackmailing me." Danny pointed at Nathan, feigning annoyance. "He made me lose my appetite!"

"Oh, g-good! I c-could do with extra food." Ray grinned and reached over for Danny's lunch but Danny smacked his hand away.

"In your dreams!" Danny removed the lid and stabbed his fork into a meatball. He wasn't about to wait for his lunch to walk off without him.