Chapter Two

Trent

The boys huddle around in a circle and we link arms.

"Just because they play dirty, doesn't mean we need to stoop to their level. We're the elite team, we don't need dirty tricks," I say.

"Are you losers ready to play?" Mark yells.

"Let's win!" I shout.

The circle disperses as we turn around to face the other players. Only two have their blue and white team uniforms, the rest a jumbled mess of the school uniform.

"Who died and made you captain?" Jeremy teases Mark.

"Adam's sick today, so I'm the captain." He wickedly grins.

I glance at Jeremy and he nods.

"Let's play then." I wave the boys onto the field.

Jeremy bumps his shoulder into mine and grins.

"This should be fun."

We start the game and Jeremy easily grabs the ball and shoots our first goal. Their defence system is weak, and they never put more people on it.

Mark shoots Jeremy a glare, but he proudly grins.

Danny and Jason play cat and mouse with the others, which is always a crowd please, but it easily angers our opponents.

"Danny," I shout.

I scoop the puck away from him and shoot it to Danny. He guides the puck to the goal, which earns the attention of a fuming Mark. Jason shadows Danny in case he needs a quick escape.

When Danny is in the homestretch, he lines himself up for the goal, but Mark's stick accidentally smashes in Danny's leg. He shouts in pain as he drops to his side. Mark steals the puck and races down the other end.

Jason nods to the game while he drops to Danny's side. I race to Mark and block his attempt at shooting a goal. Mark shoots me a glare and I smile.

Mark chases me back down the field. I'm not close enough to make an accurate shoot, so I pass it to another open player on the field.

Mark intercept the pass, but with the force of the puck, it bounces off his stick and shoots off. In a split second, the puck strikes a student and knocks her to the ground. The girl beside her screams, which attracts more attention.

My heartbeat thuds in my ears as I charge towards her. A group of students surround her, while some shout they're getting a teacher. I push through the crowd and gasp.

Sprawled across the grass is a young student with blood trickling down her face. Her friend holds her hand, begging for her to wake up.

Josh shoves people aside and kneels beside the upset friend. He wraps his arm around her waist and whispers something. She shakes her head and holds Marley's hand.

My hands and knees tremble, I can't be here, I can't see someone die.

* * * * *