My Favourite Christmas Present

“So we’ll see you guys in three days then, yeah?” Morgan had finished loading up the SUV with the rest of the teams bags and addressed you and Spencer as you stood by the door.

“Yep, some time away from you guys is just what I need! Maybe I’ll actually get in a few runs on the slopes without Penny dragging my ass down onto the snow.” You responded lightly, rubbing your still bruised butt.

“Hahaha. Well see if you can get Spencer to join you then. He’s not set foot on the ski’s this whole time we’ve been here.”

“Nope, nope, not gonna happen.” Spencer told his friend.

“Not even the ice rink?”

“Maybe…. MAYBE the ice rink.”

“I’ll see you two crazy kids later. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

“Bye!” You and Spencer waved the rest of the team off, before retreating back into the warmth of the cabin.

The whole team had rented a cabin for some weekend skiing and much needed fun before Christmas. The last couple of cases had hit everyone hard and Rossi had suggested that some team bonding and light relief was in order.

Neither you or Spencer had any family that you were spending Christmas with, his mom was going on a cruise with the other residents in her hospital and your family lived in England. So you’d decided to extend the booking on the cabin, making sure to go on a grocery run yesterday before the team left, making sure you had enough food in to be able to cook a mammoth Christmas feast for the two of you. You were looking forward to it just being the two of you, you got on well with Spencer. You were the closest in age and shared a similar taste in TV shows and movies. Since joining the BAU you’d become fast friends and it would be nice to spend some time away from Dereks teasing.

No matter how many times you told him that there was nothing going on between you and Reid, he wouldn’t let up. You knew it was harmless, but sometimes it did get to you. If you dug deeper, you knew it was because you did kinda have the teeny tiniest crush on Reid which you knew would be in no way reciprocated. How could it be, Spencer was gorgeous, kind, intelligent. He was pretty much perfect in every way, except for the fact that his social graces were sometimes a little off. But anyway, it was just a small crush. Nothing you couldn’t handle.

“I’m heading to the slopes for a bit. You sure I can’t tempt you?” You started to tug on your skiing gear which was still by the door.

“Not a chance… I’m gonna catch up on some more reading, maybe watch some Dr Who. Have fun.”

When you returned two hours later, snow was starting to fall again outside. You were exhausted and cold but you were happy. You stood on the front porch of the little cabin, stamping the snow off your boots, before entering, the heat from the roaring fire that Spencer had lit, hitting you immediately.

“Hey! Did you you have fun?” He look up from his spot on the couch. He was wearing a ridiculous Christmas jumper which Penelope had bought him and his glasses. He looked adorable.

“I did. I’m just gonna hop in the shower, and then maybe we can have some hot chocolate?”

“Sounds good to me.”

You ran upstairs and jumped in the shower, the hot water soothing against you cold, achey muscles. You dressed quickly afterward, pulling on your own tacky sweater which was covered in reindeers before heading down to the small kitchen and making two huge mugs of hot chocolate, pouring a dash of whiskey into each mug.

Walking back into the living area, you set one cup down and then bent to hand Spencer his.

His hand reached out and somehow knocked against yours awkwardly, making you lose your grip on the mug and sending hot chocolate splashing everywhere as the mug clattered to the floor.