Part 6

Surangi and Waman chatted happily as they trailed behind Chandri who expertly led the four buffaloes to the lily pond. Being creatures of habit they followed her like she was the leader of their pack. In her excitement Surangi barely saw the creased forehead of her husband Madhav, who was annoyed that she hardly noticed the fact that while she and Waman were about to spend their time in leisure he had to haul the goods that were to be taken to the market for sale. He worked silently along with Raghav and Chandri's father; wondering how Waman became friends with Surangi so quickly that he did not even mind playing the girlie game of chipari or hopscotch with her and Chandri.

As soon as the children reached the pond the animals did what came naturally to them

As soon as the children reached the pond the animals did what came naturally to them. They waddled into the waters and made themselves comfortable, cooling their massive bodies from the summer heat, with their eyes shut as if they were meditating. Surangi noticed a common myna enjoying its meal by snacking on the parasites it spotted on the animals. They seemed only too content to let the bird bring them relief from discomfort. "How much time will they spend in the water?" Surangi asked Chandri. "They are the Princesses of the pond in their buffalo paradise, unless I drive them out they will stay there till they get hungry." She replied.

"Vahini, chal na, soor parambya kheluya!" Waman invited Surangi to join him in a swinging game

"Vahini, chal na, soor parambya kheluya!" Waman invited Surangi to join him in a swinging game. A massive banyan tree cast its shadow close to the pond and they grabbed its aerial roots; competing to see who could swing the farthest. Soon Chandri joined them and seeing that she was winning easily Waman tried to outswing her with all his might, almost falling off in the process. Surangi giggled to see him falter and soon the laughter of the three children reverberated around the pond. She hardly realised what was happening as a strong pair of arms grabbed her around the waist and literally plucked her off the tree. As her feet touched the ground she saw an angry Madhav scolding her. 

"Khali padun daat modun ghyayachet ka dhopar phodaychet?" She did not answer him when he asked if she was trying to break her teeth or hurt her knees by falling off the banyan tree. "Ghari chala, bolavley!" He told Surangi and Waman to hurry home and they followed him silently. As he walked ahead he recalled his mother's word, "Protect and care for her Madhava, unlike in the case of your namesake she is your only wife!" Could Surangi not appreciate that he was always protecting her? His parents pampered her more than him or Waman, if he quizzed them the reply was "Dudha peksha tyavarchi saay jast japavi lagtey", or the cream needs more care than the milk it floats over!