Chapter 3- Gettin' Money $$

Keyanna POV

"Breakfast is ready," I heard my mom call from the kitchen. I sat up and noticed that I was back in our old house. I was confused. I stood up and went to look for Kimberly and my mom.

"Kim where are you?" I asked as I reached the hallway.

"She's still sleep. She's just a baby, you know she cant answer you," .

I stood frozen in place. It's been so long since I heard that voice. I thought my mind must have been playing tricks on me. There was no way I was hearing correctly. I slowly turned around and let all my tears fall. Standing in front of me was my brother Kendrick. I ran and hugged him like it would be the last time I saw him.

"Ya Ya what's wrong?" He asked, obviously confused at why I was crying.

"You left me. In my dream you were gone," I cried, still not letting go of him.

"It was just a dream. Im right here, and I aint going nowhere. Stop crying," he said as he rubbed my back.

If Kendrick never died, then my mom never started doing drugs. I slowly let go of Kendrick and walked into the kitchen. There she was. My mom looked like her normal self. I was so happy to know that everything was just a dream. I walked up to her and gave her a big hug.

"Good morning baby," she said happily.

It felt so good to see her happy and sober. I was the happiest girl in the world at this moment. I opened my mouth to tell my mom about my dream, but stoped when I heard Kimberly crying. My mom left to go get her and I turned to look at Kendrick. He was looking down at his phone. All of a sudden there was a knock at our door. Kendrick got up to open it and I heard a loud "BANG" I walked over to see what ths noise was and I saw Kendeick's lifeless body on the ground. My vision became blurry as I screamed out, "NOOOO".

I sat up and noticed that I had been crying. It was only a dream. I often had dreams that Kendrick was back, but he always ended up dying before I could wake myself up. I looked over at Kimberly, who was sleeping on the other couch. I wiped the rest of my tears just as our front door opened. My mom came walking through the door with some man. She looked over at me and a look of concern flashed through her eyes when she saw my tear stained face. But, just as quickly as it came, it was gone. That gave me some hope. Our mom still cared about us on some levels. I guess it was just to hard for her to deal with loosing Kendrick. That's still no excuse for her behavior, but it makes it easier to understand. She walked back into her room and soon after I heard music blasting.

I sighed and turned on the TV. I stared at the screen and began to zone out. I was just thinking about how much my life changed because of one bullet. I wonder where I would be if Kendrick had never died. I was really smart. I wanted to go to medical school and become a pediatrician. That dream may be a thing of the past now.

I was pulled out of my thoughts about 30 minutes later when my mom came out of her room with that man.

"Has King came by here?" my mom asked before she walked out the door.

"Yes he is coming back to get his money sometime soon," I replied, hoping that she would stay here so I wouldn't have to deal with King.

"How much do I owe him?" she asked.

"I think he said $150," I lied. He only wanted $125, but if she was going to get the money, I might as well try for something extra. I was shocked that she actually seemed to care.

"Huey, can you give her $150 until tomorrow," my mom sweetly asked the man she was with. I took this time to take in his appearance. He looked to be in his mid 30s. He was dark skinned with dreads. By his clothes, you could tell he had money.