Chapter 31: Part 2

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: PART II

A couple of days later...

Before I left work, I went to Mr. Kerrington's office, softly knocking on his door. His glasses were hanging low on the bridge of his nose as he scanned some papers before looking up, my knock taking his attention to me.

"Ella, how may I help? Take a seat" Mr. Kerrington spoke, gesturing to the seat across his desk. I rarely visited his office and whenever I did, it was for something important.

I reached the chair and sat down before talking, "I wanted to talk to you about this now since I like to do things with long term notice." I paused, watching his face as I said, "I wanted to discuss with you maternity leave and who could replace me."

Mr. Kerrington frowned before I clarified, "I'm pregnant"

I didn't feel comfortable sharing this with him as obligatory as it was for me to speak about it. He couldn't be oblivious to the fact that his son was attracted to me. Even though, I saw Braden a couple of times after the feelings confession chat he had with me, he never mentioned his emotions again, which truthfully made me glad. But I didn't like talking to Mr. Kerrington about this when I knew he probably desired Braden and I ended up together some day.

"Oh, well, congratulations, first of all." He looked ashen as he spoke and I murmured a thank you. "Did you have anyone in mind?"

"No, I was hoping you could recommend someone or help me find one since I don't." I suggested, wanting this conversation to be over.

Mr. Kerrington scratched his head as he thought for a few long seconds about it. "Well, since you have such a prestigious position, I'll have Braden replace you while you're gone. He already knows how the company works and what happening so there's no one better than my son. I appreciate you coming now to discuss this, Ella"

"Thank you," I took a look at my watch before saying, "I better get going. I have to go pick up Mia."

I excused myself and said goodbye to Mr. Kerrington as I exited his office, relieved that the conversation was over and I was able to cut it short. I stopped by my office, picking up my purse and a few essentials before locking and getting into the elevators.

As I approached my car, I heard someone catcalling me over the New York City traffic chaos. As I turned around to see who the rude bastard had been, Max's body pressed into mine, putting me against him and my car.

"You look mighty fine, miss" He smirked, knowing how phrases like those and catcalling irked me. Suddenly, he turned completely serious. His hand reached out to caress my cheeks and jawline, his eyes staring into mine as he said, "It's over. She's out. For good"

I couldn't help the feeling of relief and contentment that overtook me as I put my hand on his neck and pulled him down to kiss him, not caring how crowded the sidewalks were and how most pedestrians (who were probably tourists, because New Yorkers didn't have time) stared.

Max leaned his forehead against mine as he placed a hand on my bump and murmured against my lips, "I love you. Always"

I pecked him one last time before deciding it was enough and put a bit of distance between us. The little PDA show was more than enough for the crowd walking back and forth.

"Let's go have dinner," Max suggested, reaching for my hand.

"I have to go pick up Mia and I'm tired. The baby takes more of my energy every day," I pouted. I wanted to go with him but I felt like I would knock out in the middle of the restaurant if we did.

"It won't be long, I promise. I just want to go out, just you and me. It's been a while since last time" Max was trying to persuade me by making me take pity on him and his nice actions.

"It won't really be just you and me, you know" I quickly eyed my baby bump, before looking back at him.

"I know but..." He sighed before saying, "You know what I mean"

I hesitated before giving in, "Fine, but I'll be completely knackered by the time you order the check" I informed him as he got me into the passenger side of my car, him taking the driver's side. "Where's your car?" I asked him as he closed the door and started the ignition.

"I left it at home and took a cab here" He explained, trying to hide a grin.

"You had all this planned out, didn't you? You were determined on getting your way" I accused him.

"Always" Max said, letting the grin appear.

***

We were on the living couch, watching TV. Our dinner had gone well. I made it through dinner without passing out, surprisingly. I accidentally poked my bump with my elbow, feeling a small push against my tummy in response. I stayed still surprised by what just happened. I did poke my belly again, hoping for the same reaction, instantly feeling the same small push.

"What's so funny?" Max questioned as he noticed the small grin on my face.

"Poke my belly," I told him, reaching for his hand. Max frowned, reluctant to do so. "Do it, trust me" I encourage him, taking his finger.

I put his palm against my stomach as soon as his finger touched my tummy. Max's eyes widen a he felt it. I laughed as he stilled.

"What...? What was that?"

"The baby, silly. What else would it be?" I laughed at his stupid question.

He pulled me into his lap, straddling him and bringing me down to kiss me. The position wasn't as comfortable as it used to be before the bump started growing. I pulled away, breathless "What was that for?"

"Just because" I leaned down to kiss him again, forgetting about the TV show being displayed on the screen of the TV.