01

Beth Midnight had just served herself cereal when her phone beeped. So she dropped the spoon back into the bowl and checked her phone. She had received a message from Elena telling her to go to the boarding house. So she left her cereal there and drove to the Salvatore house.

Once she had arrived, she saw the two Salvatore brothers standing outside the entrance of the house so she walked towards them. "Good morning, Damon, Stefan," she greeted them happily.

They couldn't help but smile too. It happened everytime no matter what was going on. Her smile made them smile. It was contagious.

Beth ran to Damon embracing him in a hug and then did the same with Stefan. She had always loved them. Even when Damon was said to be evil. She saw more than that. She saw the kindness that he tried so hard to hide. And when Stefan's ripper side came back, instead of running away she comforted him and helped him back from the edge.

They've always been the best of friends.

"As much as I love being with you two, Elena messaged. So where is she?" She asked.

"Inside with Bonnie," Stefan replied.

"Thank you," she chimed and then walked into the large house. "Hi, darlings," she said once she spotted her friends.

"Beth," Bonnie and Elena said in unison as they smiled.

"You called, and I arrived. So what's up?"

"Stefan and Damon are giving me the boarding house," Elena said vaguely and then gestured towards the man that was sitting at the table. Beth felt a little guilty for not noticing the man before.

"Hi, Mr. Henry," she waved already knowing who the man was. She knew everyone in town and vice versa. The whole town loved her. She was Mystic Falls' sunshine.

"Beth. It's nice to see you again," he said with a smile before continuing to look through the paperwork in front of him.

"So this place is all yours? They just gave it to you?" Bonnie questioned.

"For now. As sole owner, I'm the only one who can invite a certain type of person in here if you know what I mean," Elena replied as she signed the papers.

"Your own personal safe house," Beth said.

"That's the idea."

"Wouldn't want to clean it," Bonnie teased which caused the girls to chuckle as they looked around the massive house.

"I could always help," Beth said to Elena jokingly to keep everyone's smiles from fading.

After Elena signed the last document, Mr. Henry collected his things before Elena and Beth walked him to the door and thanked him as he stepped out of the house.

The two brothers then walked closer to the door until they were stopped by a force at the door. They had to be invited in.

"I'm sorry. I completely forgot," Elena chuckled turning back to look at them. "Stefan. Would you like to come inside my house?" she asked with a smile. Beth couldn't stop the giggle that escaped her lips when she realized what Elena was doing.

"I would love to. Thank you," Stefan said as he stepped in. They smiled at each other as he passed.

"What are we, 12?" Damon asked clearly annoyed.

"One of us is," Elena responded with a serious expression. Damon turned to look at Beth for help, but she just shrugged.

"Sorry, Damon. I love you, but it's true."

"If I let you in do you promise to obey the owner of this house?"

"No," Damon scoffed at Elena's question.

"Seriously, Damon. My way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?"

"Yes, Elena. Sure."

"Then please, come in." And of course, the first place Damon went to as soon as he was invited in was to his bourbon. There was no shocker there. Soon after Bonnie came into the room with Elena's sweater, Beth and Elena went ahead and grabbed their purses.

"Wait. Where are you going?" Stefan asked with furrowed brows.

"School," Elena replied and Beth and Bonnie nodded in agreement.

"No, no, no. We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it," Damon argued.

"Yeah, guys. Klaus is out there. We know that," Stefan said.

"Right. But where? No one knows. Look, I really appreciate what you guys are doing , and I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I'm safe here. But I'm not going to be a prisoner," Elena said.

"And come on guys. If anyone was going to die today, I'd be screaming my lungs out," Beth laughed. "And Bonnie is ready to keep her safe with her new found power."

"She's right. I can take him." 

Although Beth wasn't happy about the fact that they wanted to kill someone, she knew that at one point it would either be Klaus' death or Elena's.