xxii; enough bullets for a lifetime

"You owe me so much, okay? So much." Jimmy mumbled as he finished dressing Dan's wound. "I had to dig a bullet from you, and Dan, it was disgusting." But he got out a stethoscope, and he put it in his ears, pressing the circular part to Dan's chest. His heartbeat was steady, normal, healthy maybe, even after all the action. They'd actually taken Nightkiller to the hospital, after they'd changed her clothes, because Jimmy wasn't sure he could repair head damage. If they asked about the bullet wound, Hayley had said Dick could be blamed for it.

Dan felt bad for Dick. His sister came home hurt almost every night, and the she didn't seem like a sharing secrets type, so he only had to assume that she told him lies every single time. Dan hated being lied to, so to think of lying to the mostly sweet, kind of clueless Detective Karter--It seemed like a crime. 

"I got you, Jimmy." Dan leaned back into the couch, fluttered his eyes closed and didn't say more for a moment. Then, he opened one eye, and he said: "What time is it? Early enough for breakfast?" He was internally freaking out, but his stomach was rumbling too, with the urge for food. From the look Jimmy gave him, Dan doubted going out for breakfast was an option though, so he tried with, "McDonalds is twenty four hours, want a burger?"

Jimmy's gaze was still angry, but then he gave in, and nodded. "Please. I have to tell Lance you're here." The thought of lying to the man who he was going to marry in a month, that made him sick, so he kept it as close to the truth as he could. Dan would be there tonight, but if Lance asked why, that would be where the lying would, sadly, take place.

Dan had freaked out over the thought of returning to his own apartment earlier, started crying and begging not to go, that he'd die, and Jimmy was such a softie that he'd given in and taken Dan to his house. As Jimmy crept up the stairs, he thought about Lance, and the way the man smiled at him, the way the corners of his eyes crinkled and the way he'd put his arms around him. He loved him.

 Raising a fist to the door, Jimmy pushed it open, but he was quiet enough that Lance didn't hear him. Lance, that was hopping out of the window. Lance, who had guns on his sides and a grin on his face. 

Lance, who Jimmy loved, was sneaking out the window. So Jimmy slammed the door shut, heard a surprised noise from the inside, and went down the stairs. "Dan! Dan!" He cried out, "Lance--We have to go now!" Dan sat up immediately, and then he was standing, pulling on his sweater, leaving the collared shirt strewn across the couch. "The police, or something, because Lance has..." He rushed out, and then looked to the stairs, and his fiancé was there at the bottom, green eyes laced with shock, fear, comically wide among other things about how he looked.

"Jimmy, please, I can explain!" Lance began, but then Jimmy grabbed Dan's wrist, and headed out the door. 

He left Lance with those bullets, those guns and that grin, left him alone with the very weapons that had hurt Jimmy's friends hours before. Jimmy said they'd go to check on Hayley now, and so they did.

   →→→ 

happy sunday! 

no one  knows why i'm posting so much