Chapter Six

Chapter Six

      “So, this is where tryouts are?” I asked Chase, as we neared the ginormous gym.

      “I guess? I haven’t really been to this part of the building in a while,” he admitted, scratching the back of his head slightly.

      “Why start now?”

      “Because I think we would make an adorable couple, and the more time I spend with you, the more I know you’ll be into me,” he smirked. In some aspects, he was right. That was how it generally worked. The more time one spent with another, the more fond they grow. Though, I had more than a sneaking suspicion that that wouldn’t be the case with Chase Ryan.

      “But, Chase, I’ve already said, I’m never going out with you. Ever,” I said firmly.

      “Jules, you’re so silly!” he laughed, slinking an arm around my waist.

      “I know, I crack myself up all the time!” I removed his arm, and then proceeded into the gym.

      Ah, yes. This was my turf. I wasn’t talking about turf as in the asphalt, because that was outside. I belonged in a gym... well, not really, but sometimes. Volleyball was something that calmed me, and allowed all of my aggression to be released. Occasionally, it was just what I needed. Today, apparently, were tryouts for the team, and I was ready to take down any senior bitch that got in the way of my rightful spot on the team.

      “Where are the locker rooms?” I asked, my eyes scanning about the glossy floor and elongated ceilings of the space.

      “Straight ahead. If you need me to go in with you, I’m sure I can help,” Chase winked.

      “No, that’s fine,” I immediately shot down.

      “Okay. Well, I’m just putting you on notice, Aiden and I will both be watching you, and cheering you on,” he informed me as if it was something that would make my stomach flip. 

      “Why would I care?” I sighed.

      “Oh, I just wanted to let you know so that you weren’t too overwhelmed by my hotness and his ego,” he smirked.

      “I think it’s the other way around,” I mumbled, shaking my head.

      “No, it’s not. Go change,” he instructed, pushing me forward in the direction of the specific category of rooms I had requested.

      After stepping in, I found a locker to hold my stuff. I changed into a pair of shorts, a T-shirt, and my shoes. Then, I put my hair up in a high ponytail, and positioned an orange headband in my head just in case my hair tie decided to randomly snap. I was ready. There were other girls in the locker room, but they were completely ignoring me …or so I had originally thought.

      “Hey, are you Julia Tylers?” a tall girl asked, coming up to me as I shoved the rest of my clothes in my locker. I glanced over to her more carefully, and instantly knew that she was a senior. She had to be.

      To say that she was pretty would’ve been an understatement. She was gorgeous. Her hair was dark chocolate—kind of like Chase’s—and wasn’t quite curly, but couldn’t be classified as straight, either. It was wavy. She had mocha-colored eyes that had makeup applied to them, but not too much so that it looked unnatural or bad. Despite the fact that she was dressed to play volleyball, I had a hunch that this girl would look nice in anything she wore.

      “Jules, and yeah,” I looked up to her.

      “Oh, cool! I’m Talia!” she introduced herself, waving energetically.