Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The next morning, Miren was confident she had a hangover.

Because the only way she could defend her actions from last night would be if she were drunk. And she knew she wasn't, but still!

I hooked up with Jeno. The thought was more extreme than what had actually happened (Everyone knew that intense kissing didn't count as hooking up. Right?) but wouldn't it have gotten that far if Jeno hadn't fallen asleep in an intoxicated stupor?

She shook her head. She'd like to say she was raised better, but that was a bigger lie than the one she was keeping. It wouldn't have, she assured herself as she tried to study in the study room. Yet, somehow she was halfway through the Atlas of Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathophysiology. But it was only sort of helpful at numbing her mind. Her eyes retreated to the clock. It was seven in the morning. Which meant that in a few hours, he would be awake. And she could only hope that he'd be too hungover to remember their exchange.

Or did she?

"Miles?" Shit. Miren turned toward the indoor French doors, where Dr. Rutherford stood with a cup of hot coffee and a thick booklet. Despite the fact she was wearing some plaid flannel pajamas, she looked quite scholarly.

Miren should have felt at ease, but she was staring at the mother of the boy she'd just defiled. Mortification didn't even begin to describe what she felt.

"Good morning, Dr. Rutherford," Miren finally offered, pressing the textbook close. "Uh, I remembered I had an extra credit assignment I forgot to do. Wanted to get it done since we'll be leaving tomorrow."
The woman pursed her lips, but nodded as she took a seat at a desk across from her. "That's good to hear. For a moment I thought you got into a spat with Jeno."

Miren almost froze. She nodded, but it was strained. "He's been really nice to me. I really appreciated him inviting me over and you and Mr. Rutherford having me. You really didn't have to."

"Honestly, you're a lot more pleasant than my kids." She took a sip from her mug. "Remind me to get in contact with your mom so I can learn her secret."

"Will do."

The woman's eyes were probably too energetic for the morning, but her silent optimism was almost exactly what Miren needed. Well, aside from the obvious.

"Are you hungry? I can make you something. I don't know if you drink coffee, but there's a fresh pot in the kitchen," Dr. Rutherford offered. "You can have anything. The fridge and pantry is still all access."

Miren shook her head. "Thank you. Maybe later."

The doctor sighed in relief. "You're the only teenage boy I know that doesn't have the appetite of a starved horse. Even Roger still acts like one." She laughed. "I don't know where on earth he got his metabolism. I swear, it needs to be studied scientifically."

"Good to know." Miren smiled a little. She honestly didn't expect herself to smile so soon after the...the Other Incident. But she also felt that she was invading the woman's territory. And despite not having anywhere she wanted to go, maybe it was time to just confront Jeno...that is, if there was anything he'd even remember to confront.

"Anyway," Dr. Rutherford began, readjusting her ponytail. "I can tell your friendship is really good for Jeno. I heard you got him to use his violin skills for the musical. Just when we thought those lessons were in vain."