Chapter 49 - Merry Christmas!

(Shan's POV - Tue. 23 December 2014)

"Shan, will you stop squirming!?" Mark grunts with authority.

It doesn't even sound like a question, more like an order. We are at Chicago O'Hare airport and it seems like I can't remain still while we wait for our flight to be called. Ever since Mark announced we'd fly to New Jersey for Christmas, I have been craving for this moment. My first flight ever.

Of course, I am very eager to meet his parents; with all that Mark has been telling us about them, I feel like I've known them forever. His mother sounds like the one I've always dreamed of, kind, supportive and understanding. His father sounds like... his son's father, authoritative and hard-working, but also encouraging. I'm sure we'll get along very well! That is... if they can cope with my boisterous personality. Paul Murray is quite tired from his heart attack, and I promised I'd try my best to reign in my hyperactivity around him.

Anyway, we're not there yet and before I have to tone down my innate enthusiasm, there's still a fantastic experience waiting for me... My first time on a plane! I have always wanted to fly but never had the opportunity to. As a child, I was too noisy and lively, so my parents never dared to take me on such a trip and always kept our vacation within tolerable car distances – which means I never went further up than Green Bay, Wisconsin. Later, after I moved in with Liam and started earning money, I had hoped to save enough to travel or why not fly to Los Angeles with him when he visited his parents, however, the spendthrift I am never managed to do so. My Bunny did offer to buy me a ticket, but I always declined, not willing to abuse his kindness.

So, this is my first flight and I am extremely excited about it! So much so that barely after ten minutes sitting on this uncomfortable chair, I'm already annoying my Master with my legs bouncing while my eyes try to catch everything that's happening on the tarmac. Thank goodness, my muscles seem to get Mark's message, hearing the sternness in his tone, and immediately cease their quiver as my feet quietly rest back on the floor.

"Why did we have to come so early?" I ask with irritation though, rolling my eyes at Alex who's sitting on Mark's other side and chuckling at my impatience.

"Because that's how it's supposed to be, Shan. Now please quiet down," Mark reasons. "Look at this kid over there. He can't be older than 2 or 3 and he shows more patience than you do!" he adds, pointing at a little boy in another row of seats.

The little buddy is so cute with his small backpack, sitting on the edge of his chair with his legs dangling and swinging. He looks completely lost in the contemplation of the planes and trucks outside, watching them through the window wall.

"Perhaps he's used to traveling..." I argue with bad grace.

"Stop it, Shan. Just take your book and read. Or play on your phone. It shouldn't be more than a few more minutes now."

A few more minutes? Forty of them, yeah! That's how much more we have to wait before they eventually call the passengers of the Delta flight to Philadelphia! I instantly jump to my feet, ignoring Mark's sigh, and paw the ground while he slowly slips his laptop back inside his messenger bag. Alex also stands up, obviously not too confident. My poor Pumpkin has never been on a plane either, but contrary to me, flying scares him a bit.

"It's okay, Alex," Mark reassures him, wrapping a comforting arm around his shoulders. "I told you this morning, risks are near to zero on a plane, and you'll see, it's fun."

"You can sit in the middle and we'll be holding your hands," I offer warmly as well, and I'm glad to see a small smile draw on his face.

"Thank you, Muffin, that would be nice..."