43. Healthy Choices

Move in with him?

Move in with him?

I was stunned. "I...I...." Words failed me. 

His disappointment was clearly conveyed by the expression on his face, his bottom lip rolling outward, eyebrows pulled down and drawn together. "You don't like the idea," he finally said.

"No, it's not that, Harry," I assured him, shaking my head. I pondered the idea more, trying to come up with the exact words I wanted to say. "I guess I just...." I faltered again. "Remember the night we visited your parents? Before we left, you said that you were serious about us, serious about marriage and family."

"Of course," he nodded. "None of that has changed."

I smiled, my heart deeply moved by his conviction. "I feel the same way. You're already part of my future as far as I'm concerned. 

"So, what's your hesitation with this idea?" He asked, kissing my fingertips.

"It's just that living together feels so ambiguous. There's no commitment. That doesn't mean I don't trust you, but I think that moving in together feels like we're putting marriage on the back burner."

"Are you ready for marriage now?" He asked, a tiny smile tugging up at one corner of his mouth. "Do you want to get married?"

"I don't know," I said, throwing my hands up in the air, and then smiling apologetically. "No, wait. I do want to marry you. I think that maybe what we're missing is the longevity, you know? It doesn't feel like I'm making sense, and I hope I'm not confusing you."

"I'm a little confused," he shrugged. "But I want to know what's going on in your head. This - everything we decide about us - it's about the two of us, not just what I want."

"And it's not all about what I want either," I smiled. "Let me put it this way. I know I love you. I know I want to marry you. But maybe we should let it age a little. You know, like a fine wine. Just so we know we're truly not rushing into anything."

He nodded along with the words I'd been saying. "How about this? You keep the key, and you keep your apartment. But you know that you're welcome here, any time of day or night. I want you to feel like it's your home. Then let's put the marriage discussion on hold for a while. Maybe until this expansion project at the hospital is completed, or at least well underway."

"That sounds perfect," I nodded, kissing him soundly. "Thank you for tonight. I think it was the best birthday celebration I've ever had. 

"You're welcome, baby," he murmured, with his lips only centimeters from mine. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

It was Sunday in the Emergency Department, I was certain that half the city of Chicago was in our waiting room. 

"What's up with the massive crowd of people?" I asked Gloria, one of the other nurses who was just finishing the night shift. "It's 7:00 AM, for heaven's sake. On a Sunday!"