Chapter Eighteen | The Testimony

_________

Life is driving me crazy

Everything ain't all gravy

If it ain't one thing it's another

Why me I believe in karma

So I know that answer is coming back on me - Mack 10
_________

Dolani

"So, wassup with you and my big brother Ashanti? You've been gone for like ever and now that you're back in town, I'm kind of curious about the two of you." I asked her out of curiosity as she sat quietly
on the right side of me, in the all white and silver salon chair. My mother had rented out the entire place for me, so that we could be in peace, as we got our pedicures done today. It was Ashanti, Haileigh, and I getting all pampered up before my big party that was due to be later in the evening. I was super excited too, I just couldn't wait for later.

Much hadn't been going on lately, but my family as a whole were still on edge about the situation. We've had little, minor run ins with people, but it wasn't anything that would lead us to our problem. I was tired of having to look over my back, life had just gotten complicated over the last year, but I was dealing with it. Tonight the complications in my life would be the farthest thing from my mind. I wanted everything to be perfect, as it had been every other year thanks to my mom and dad.

Today was a very special day, simple because it marked my seventeenth birthday. I was really feeling on top of the world right now, no one could bring me off my high horse. My mom had woken me up early this morning to a room full of top designer brands and plenty of balloons covering my high top ceiling. Next came a big five star breakfast and the 14 karat diamond earrings that I had been eyeing in a jewelry store downtown for a while. That wasn't all though, an all pink Range Rover limo picked me up from my home when I was all dressed and to my surprise, my two favorite people were already in the car and then here we are. The day had been going extremely great and I was convinced that it would stay this way.

 The day had been going extremely great and I was convinced that it would stay this way

"Dolani, girl, I really can't even answer that. Your brother and I are so complicated right now until its unexplainable. I just don't know what we are to each other, well ... I kn-, I just don't know." She explained to me, battling with herself as she fiddled with her fingers. I sighed softly and then shook my head at my brother's decisions. Ashanti was only 19, but she was a good friend of mine. She was always there for me, as well as Domani, so I didn't know why he did what he did to her. I felt stuck in the middle between them sometimes. I would never go against Domani, but Ashanti is my girl and she deserves more.