The Dead City

The morning sun was blood red. Sir Kay stood out on one of the parapets as he watched the sunrise, the omen disturbed him greatly. Merlin walked up, "Hmm, this is not a good sign."

"Aye, something evil is afoot. Something near, and something pure. I smell the work of Morgan."

"Go get Ector and wake him up. We need to get going."

"So we're using his proper name then?"

"Yes, and don't be afraid to be a little rough with him. Time is not on our side."

"Yes Merlin, at once." Kay rushed to find Ector and woke him up. As Kay and Ector returned to the round table, they found Bedivere and Merlin already discussing matters of great importance.

"Merlin what's going on?" asked Ector.

"We need to get you caught up with some important details before we get going."

"So I can assume being quite is a good idea."

"Quiet, now then, the first thing that you need to know is who your mother is."

Ector was confused, "I thought it would be Guinevere?"

"No actually. When your father was still working to stop the Saxons and securing his control in this region, he fell in love with the queen of the Fae in Britannia."

"Uh, the fae are...faeries right?"

"Yes precisely. Well he and this queen had...a brief relationship and this resulted with you being brought into this world."

"So you’re telling me that I'm a faerie."

"A half faerie to be precise."

"Well that makes all the difference then. Oh look at me, a half fae. Like that’s gonna keep some bastard from calling a fairy. Yip, yip, yippe! Maybe I can sprinkle someone with some dust and they can give a manlier group to come from!”

Merlin stared at Ector, one brow raised. “Are you finished?”

“I'm sorry, continue."

"When you were born, I had a vision of you being raised as the heir to Camelot unabated, and how you and your father would both fall at the Battle of Camlann. But, I also saw how if you were not around to partake in the fall of Camelot, and brought in after these events, then you would have a better chance of maintaining the order that your father worked to create."

"Did my father know of this?"

"It was his idea to bring you to the realm of Britain for safekeeping."

"So wait, why was my grandfather's tomb in Great Britain and not here?"

"Without getting technical, there are several realms that magic can help connect. Arthur was able to rule both Britannia, which is where we are now, and Great Britain, where you were raised. The room with Caliburn was an old armory that was turned into a tomb for your grandfather. This was because he ruled Great Britain than he did in Britannia. That's why the site of Camelot and Camlann are impossible to find in Britain , they literally doesn't exist. Yet you can find Tintagel and Stonehenge."

"...That’s actually easy to understand."

"I know, odd uh?"

"Yeah, somewhat. So who is the 'faerie queen'?"

"Gloriana, sister to Oberon."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, the same Oberon from the Shakespeare play?"

"Precisely, though this quickly led to some tension between humans and faeries. Which led to your parents having to annul their marriage."

“So I’m not a bastard half-faerie thing then?”