44: Said Moment

"I wanna keep it."

"But it's my favorite," Carter whined, holding it from my reach.

"It's my favorite too. If you really liked me, you'd let me keep it." I stood up, stretching my arms towards his outstretched arm, keeping my beloved item far from me. "Carter!"

"This one looks so much better on you though," he said, fingering the material of his shirt which I was currently wearing. He brought his arms around my legs, laying his head flat against me before looking up.

"Carter," I sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you lo-, forget it." I placed my hands on his shoulders before slowly reaching for the shirt. "I still want this. To keep."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?" I gave him an inquisitive look as I assessed my newest pajama set. "I'll let you keep it if you tell me why."

"Because it's your favorite shirt. And you're leaving me. Sue me if I want to keep something with sentimental value." I folded it, and tossed it onto the bed. "You're giving me that look again."

He shook his head before packing up his clothes again. "I have no idea what you're talking about." I ignored it in fear it might incite another conversation, one I wasn't willing to have at the moment. Or ever.

"You're going to pack all of them?" The state of Carter's room was a mess. Boxes in every corner, bed stripped of all sheets. It was borderline empty and I was sad. I was actually sad. "You're not going to leave any for the rest of the week?"

"I have to send most of this out by tomorrow."

"You are a procrastinator." I sat down across him and began putting things in their correct places.

"No thanks to you." He began closing another box with tape. With each box, it's like my heart would break more which only spelled bad news. Right? "So, what are we doing for your birthday?"

"Sleep in. And then I'll take you to the airport."

"Sounds depressing."

"Sure does." I taped another box, another bruise to my heart.

"Hey," he nudged my foot. "Bailey." I looked up at him. "I don't know what to say after this." I let out a laugh as he pulled me onto his lap, securing his arms around my waist. "Now I see why you were so negative."

"We should've stuck to being roommates with a couple benefits. I could be getting sex from the whole town guilt free after you leave." I laid my head on his shoulder.

"Let's face it Bailey, no one can fucᴋ you better than me." I could taste the smirk on his lips.

"Not a romantic way of saying it Carter. Sounds vulgar." I mumbled into his neck.

"It's the truth though." He leaned in to whisper in my ear. "I have magic between my legs."

"Me too, you wanna share?" I bit my lip trying to hold in my excessive amounts of laughter.

"Say no more!" He chanted before picking me up and carrying me out of his room. "I think we have too much sex."

"There's no such thing Carter. Now, I want to see that magic in your pants." He threw me onto my bed before jumping on top of me.

~∞~

"Why are you covering my eyes? Where are we going," I asked as Carter continued to lead us to a place on he could see.

"Patience is key Bailey." He made no move to remove the blindfold over my eyes. "Almost there. Watch your step." After getting up the stairs, with added difficulty, and stepping over a threshold, we finally stopped.

"This blindfold is in the way. I cannot see," I said while keeping a firm hand on his bicep.

"That's kind of the point." He got behind me. I could not help but feel excited as he began to take my blindfold off. Jut as it was removed, there was a large echo of "Surprise" ringing in my ears. "Happy early birthday Bailey," Carter whispered before kissing my cheek.

"But wait, there's more," Adam said. A banner came down next to mine reading 'We're Gonna Miss You Carter" in big bold letters. "This is also your going away party planned by yours truly, Bailey Murphy."

"And we were the ones who had to put two and two together as you two came to us with the plan. Imagine having to plan a joint party in secret," Reese piped up.

"You threw me a surprise going away party," Carter cooed, in an exaggerated high tone.

"And you threw me a surprise birthday party? For me?" I made a face of faux disgust. "We're one of those couples aren't we?" I smiled up at him, feeling happy despite Carter's impending departure.

"Are y'all going to keep looking at each other with doe eyes or are we going to party," Talia asked aloud, breaking us out of our bubble.

"Where are the drinks?"

Hours into the party and my cake was finally wheeled out. The birthday song commenced at the strike of midnight officially kicking off my 22nd year.

"Make a wish. I did not bake this cake for you not to wish upon this candle," Ashley said, camera in hand.

Taking one final look around the room with the people I love and many extras, I closed my eyes, made my wish, and blew out my candles.

'I wish for more love'

My euphoria was short lived when Carter smeared icing on my face. "For good luck," he said. "You have a little something right there." He was trying not to laugh.

"Come here." I reached my arms towards him. "I want a kiss." Now I was the one trying not to break into hysterics as he backed away in fear of what I was going to do next. I grabbed his hands before he jetted away and pulled him, with much force, in my direction. I got my revenge, and once you got past the cake and icing, it was pretty romantic. "You have a little something right there,"I said, cradling the left side of his face. I smiled up sat him as we stared into each other's eyes.

Through my peripheral, I saw a flash of light. "I couldn't help it," Ashley said as she shook the polaroid picture. I only smiled, truly at peace with the way my birthday was starting off.

I never would have pictured myself in this position, dancing at a party thrown by my boyfriend, my significant other, in his arms. We were moving in sync, my arm thrown around his neck, our foreheads leaning against one another, and my other arm on his heart. "You're staring again," I said with a shit-eating grin on my face.

"I can't help it. Something about this moment. Something I cannot put my finger on." He spun me around before pressing me against his body, back to chest. "I feel like I have to take advantage of it."

***

Some light fluff because Carter's leaving next chapter. Can I get a woop woop! I'm satisfied with how this turned out because you can see the growth in Bailey finally accepting love, not that she's fallen in love, but its cute.

On another note, I'm shamelessly advertising my next book, Quick Fix, which focuses on Elliot's relationship with Celine. The girl that made him lose his shit. The summary/prologue thing has been posted already. Check it out.

Vote, comment, follow! And sorry for this long wait. I was sick then I had to take tests and you know the rest. Hope you all end of your semesters on a good note.

And I dedicate this chapter to @nunbutreall_ for her funny ass comments making me laugh during my dry spell (I know this is the wrong context of the word)