Chapter 55.8

SO COLD

SO COLD

"KING!" OSCAR GREETED IN surprise, furrowing his raised brow, deflecting from his question and asking one of his own. "How did you get in?"

"The lock is faulty," the visitor said with a wave of his hand, lips twitching with faint amusement. He carried a chipped silver staff, the head of a fierce lion fixed on the handle, and his hand tightened around it. "Well?" he demanded, referring to his earlier question. He threw a pointed, inquisitive glance in my direction, wondering what the hell he walked into.

"It's nothing," Oscar defined the situation with a careless shrug of his shoulders, and he tossed a bright –almost convincing– smile at me. "Right baby?" His gaze met mine, parting unspoken words: I better agree or else.

I was bristling with rage. My expression contorted into hatred: I wasn't a good actress, I couldn't conceal the dislike I felt for the swine before me. I wanted to murder him. My gaze flickered behind him, landing on the semiautomatic abandoned on the island table, and just as I was going to dart for it, Oscar followed my line of sight and casually strolled around the table, picking up his gun. He pulled the slide back and removed the magazine. "We were play fighting." He added another sentence to his book of fiction.

The visitor didn't look convinced, and he grew irascible. "Is she the crew's whore? You know better than to get involved, Oscar. ¿Eres estúpido? Business shouldn't be taken out of the bedroom. Pay her." He smiled at me, the expression was forced. He attempted to appear kind. "We'll double your rate and you'll forget you ever met this fool."

"I'll take a bullet to the brain to forget this motherfucker," I voiced indignantly, jaw heavy with forcefully-shot-down angry words, I wanted to say more but I couldn't. Not with Oscar's threat hanging heavy on my shoulders, an unwanted weight. "And don't call me a whore again otherwise I'll leave your precious son emotionally crippled." I mimicked his expression and handed it back to him. It was a cheap shot. Sue me, I was petty.

His expression changed; curiosity, slowly-dawning realisation and then awareness, he knew who I was. "Ms. Cannon. My apologies. I've heard of your family. Your father is quite the...impressionable man."

"He's a bastard."

His mouth broke into a genuine, amused smile, "I agree. Since I like you and I trust my son's judgement, you can call me Cebrián. It's a pleasure to meet you. Now where is Teyo? I must see him immediately. He's been avoiding my calls for the past week and I've come to beat some sense into him."

"He flew to Culebra to visit your ex-wife," Oscar said.

I expressed shock at Cole's birth name. Cebrián laughed. "You didn't think we'd give him an English name, did you? Come with me, I'll tell you of the story behind his name. Prepare the refreshments, Oscar. I'll take the usual. If it's cheap scotch, I'll kill you and serve you as a meal to the homeless shelter. I can make a mean human steak. It's not as if those filthy animals know the difference. Come." He held out his arm for me to take and I had a feeling if I rejected his dinner plans, I'd be served as a starter.