Chapter Eight: Lukewarm

~ On a Wednesday, in a cafe, I watched it begin again ~

Chapter Eight: Lukewarm

"Goodnight," I whispered, leaning up on my tip toes and kissing Max's cheek. Max smiled sweetly, taking my hand in his.

"Goodnight, lovely..." Max murmured, tucking my hair behind my ear. I smiled as he pecked my forehead, bringing me closer in a soft hug. "I'll see you soon," he told me, slowly letting go of my body. I nodded cutely, making Max chuckle as he quickly stole out the front door to my apartment, shutting it quietly after himself as Storm danced around my feet. I slowly giggled, biting my lip and smiling as I pushed my hair from my face.

It'd been a perfect first date. Max had been Max, and everything he did, everything he said, made it nothing less than absolutely perfect. After the movie we'd gone out to eat at some Thai place, and it was fun letting him teach me how to use chop sticks, laughing quietly at the little booth in the corner as I failed miserably, letting him gently guide my hand into the right positions.

I jumped as there was a knock at the door, making me frown slightly as I slowly twisted the knob to see who it was. Max stood there, biting his lip slightly as he stared at me.

"Forget something?" I asked, leaning against the door. Max smiled and nodded, watching me sweetly.

"Yeah," he whispered, slowly taking my face in his hands. "This..."

Max slowly brought his lips to mine, kissing me gently as his hands fell to my hips. Our eyes slipped closed as I kissed back, my hands coming up and falling on his chest, feeling his heart beating quickly against my palms. Max smiled against my lips as butterflies exploded in my stomach, making me giggle slightly, in turn causing Max to chuckle and pull away a little.

"Gosh that's perfect," he whispered, a smile evident in his voice. "I could do that all night..."

I giggled again, biting my lip. "Yeah..." I smiled. "Me too."

Max chuckled and pecked my lips once, slowly easing himself away. "Goodnight, Symphony," he told me again, stepping back into the hallway. I couldn't help but smile, still leaning on the door.

"Goodnight, Max," I responded. Max grinned and slowly turned down the hall, towards the stairs of the building. I closed the door, turning and pressing my back against it as I sank down to the floor, smiling happily as Storm came closer and padded into my lap, mewing softly and begging for attention. I chuckled to myself, slowly scooping him up in my arms and walking into my room, quickly grabbing my phone charger and my keys as I left my apartment and locked the door. Storm meowed unhappily and fidgeted in my arms as I carried him down the hall and up the stairs to Lucas' apartment, using my key to unlock it.

"Honey, I'm home!" I called laughingly, shutting the door after myself and setting Storm down. I heard Lucas laugh from his living room, walking down the short hall and emerging in his presence.

"Hey sweetie," he greeted me, watching as I came around his couch and plopped down beside him where he was flipping through channels, kicking my bare feet up onto his coffee table. "How was your date?"

I grinned, shrugging nonchalantly. "It was fun," I said, vaguely. "We caught a movie and grabbed dinner."

Lucas looked over at me, giving me a look. "Your face has more to tell," he commented. I giggled, shrugging again.

"Maybe he kissed me," I stated, teasingly. "Maybe he didn't..." I smiled. "Care to take a guess on which?"

Lucas laughed. "I'd guess he kissed you," he said.

I threw my hands over my head. "Ding ding ding!" I giggled. "You win, loser!"

Lucas smirked. "Isn't that an oxymoron?"