Chapter Six | Parents

When they arrived at Buckingham Palace, the Royal Butler stood waiting by the door

"Your Highnesses," he bowed as he opened the door for them.

"Thank you, Wilson," Sebastian nodded as he handed the butler his coat. He then turned to his friend, "Are you all right, Lady Elizabeth?"

"Don't you dare call me that," Darrel snapped. "My name is Darrel. It always has been, and it always will be."

"Well, then I must warn you that Their Majesties only refer to you as Elizabeth."

"That is even more fantastic news that I have acquired since learning of my newfound title."

"I also feel that I must warn you not to be sarcastic with the King and Queen of England."

"If they behave themselves then I shall not have to be sarcastic."

Sebastian rolled his eyes at his friend's stubbornness but decided to say no more and lead her towards the drawing room.

They entered the room to find King George V, Queen Mary of Teck and Duke Edward of York waiting. Sebastian bowed as Darrel curtsied.

"Well done, Your Highness," Queen Mary nodded.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Sebastian muttered, not happy about the compliment. He did not enjoy lying to his friend but knew that he was in no position to protest.

Sebastian took a seat next to Edward as Darrel sat in an armchair further away from everyone, not making eye contact.

"I assume you have mixed emotions about the situation," Edward observed, addressing his newly-found sister.

When Darrel did not respond, Sebastian intervened by engaging the duke in a conversation about politics. Their Majesties talked in hushed tones together until the butler announced dinner.

During dinner, Darrel sat between Sebastian and Edward. Sebastian's father, King Manuel of Spain had other business to attend to in London and could not make it.

"How are Lord and Lady Grantham?" Queen Mary inquired. "Ever since, well, Robert's affair has been revealed."

"Do you ask out of concern?" Darrel said sharply, not appreciating Her Majesty's condescending manner.

"Not particularly."

Darrel was about to snap back, but Edward interrupted their conversation, "Despite Her Majesty's behaviour, we want you to know that we are on your side, Elizabeth. We wish to help you as much as we can to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible."

"What transition?" Darrel inquired.

"Living at Buckingham Palace, of course," King George said.

"Excuse me?"

"You didn't think you'd be staying at Downton Abbey, did you?"

"Well, of course, I did! It is my home! That is where I grew up, and that is where my family is."

"Lady Elizabeth, you are now the Princess of Wales and my successor. You must prepare for when your time comes. The only way that you can make up for the past fourteen years is for you to move here at once so you can receive proper training."

"I am not going anywhere, and I am certainly not coming to live here with you! You cannot barge into my life and expect me to do anything you tell me to!"

"Darrel!" Sebastian hissed. "They are still the King and Queen of England."

"We understand that this is a difficult time for you, Lady Elizabeth," Edward nodded. "Your outburst is forgiven."

"I was not apologizing!" Darrel protested. "You cannot call that an outburst when I have not even begun to say all the things I think about the lot of you."

"Darrel!" Sebastian called sharply. "It would be wise for you to stop talking."

"I am leaving."

Darrel got to her feet and stormed out.

"Darrel!" Sebastian exclaimed, getting to his feet. "Darrel, come back!"

Sebastian turned to look at the others, who sat there in shock. They had never had someone speak to them in such an outrage and then rush out.

"Well, it appears that Grantham did an appalling job in raising that girl," King George V commented.

"He did not, Your Majesty," Sebastian assured. "She is not usually like that. This situation has been overwhelming for her, and the rest of the Crawley family."

"If she cannot control her emotions then she will not do well as a monarch," Queen Mary of Teck warned.

"She needs more time to adjust, Your Majesty. Now, if His Majesty would allow it, I would like to go and try to find Lady Elizabeth."

"Yes, of course," King George nodded. "You have my permission to withdraw."

"Your Majesties, Your Highness," Sebastian bowed and then left the room.

"I cannot believe that she is to take the throne someday!" King George roared once Sebastian closed the door behind him.

"We just need to get her away from the Crawleys," Queen Mary assured. "Once she is under our roof, we can have her trained and fix all her problems."

"You better be right. Because if the monarchy falls because of this girl, I shall never forgive you."

Before his wife could protest, King George V stormed out of the room, slamming the door on his way out.

"How dare he blame me for this mess!" Queen Mary exclaimed as she turned to her son. "You are the one at fault; if we did not need to disinherit you, then this would not be an issue."

"But, ma'am, you are the one who decided that Lady Elizabeth grow up at Downton Abbey," Edward reminded. "If she had grown up here, then there would not be a problem."

"I could not have taken that risk! What if she had turned out to be Grantham's and your father found out?"

"Why did you not run a DNA test once Elizabeth was born before making your decision to send her away?"

"I do not need to explain my actions to you!"

Queen Mary of Teck rose from her seat and marched out of the room. Edward sighed, not knowing how he felt about the situation. He did not think that Darrel was a bad person, but he also knew that she would not make it very far as a member of the Royal Family if she did not change.