Laughter #18

"Laughter Is Like Food For The Soul"                                                                                                                                                          _Unknown_

"Edna meet Lamonte, Lamonte meet Edna" I said looking back and forth from each child to the other.

Lamonte's eyes where wide his his head slightly tilted to the side.

Edna kept her eyes down shyly and fidgeted with her fingers.

"Do you guys wanna go outside and play?" I questioned.

They each looked up at me and the back at each other.

Monte held out his hand his eyes never leaving Edna's face.

She took his hand shakily and when there hands where connected they both glanced at me before running out the back door.

I could tell they would both get along. They where around the same age Edna being five and Monte being six.

They where both really strong minded.

I slipped my coat on and grabbed my pencil and papper. Stepping out onto the back patio I breathed in the fresh air.

Akimed was out with the guys and Shyla had been held up in her room all morning.

I took a seat in one of the chairs that lined the patio. I was trying to finish up editing a paper. It had to be finished before I went back to work on monday. I didn't quite know why he decided to give us work on our break. The man was nuts.

Christmas was tomorrow and boy was I happy. Christmas was by far one of my favorite holidays. Not because of gifts and presents but because the birth of Christ. Without him I would be nothing.

From time to time I glanced at the yard. Monte and Edna would most definitely get along.

Lunch time would soon be approaching. I still hadn't finished my editing but I didn't have much left to do.

I made my way back to the kitchen to start on lunch. Kids liked hot dogs and it was easy to make. 

I put on some hot water before I started  boiling the meat.

The house phone rung and I answered it quickly.

"Hello?"

"Yes, is this the smith residence?" the male voice questioned.

"Yes sir it is but Akimed isn't in right now. I can have him call you back when he gets home" I said "Can I take a message?".

"Yes i'm the new lawyer i'll be working on the case that was brought to me a few weeks a" he told me "Wait are you Senoj?" 

"Yes sir, I am" I stated pointedly. 

"Well your just the woman I need to be speaking with. My name is Carl Limen i'll be representing you in court when the time comes." He explained "We've apprehended a few suspects with the same description that you have given us. We just need you to come down to the station and take a look at a few people. You can point him out to us and we'll take the next steps to get him indited and charged. I'll probably come by after Christmas so we can talk face to face." 

I was slightly overwhelmed by all the things he was saying. I was already a nervous wreck when talking about things like this. Justice did have to be served and although I was afraid I knew God would be my strength when I felt like I had non. 

"Okay that will be fine sir i'll just have to have a talk with Akimed and then we can set something up" I told him.

"Alright i'll be keeping in touch" he replied before bidding me a goodbye.

I set the phone down blowing out a breath. I looked up and immediately jump back. There stood Shyla leaning over the the kitchen island looking directly at me. Her eyes blinked every so often and her stance was slumped over. She just stared at me like she wanted to say something . I wondered how long she had been standing there.

"Is there something you need?" I questioned straightening my posture and settling my eyes on her.

She shrugged her shoulders and stood straight "No I was just curious as to who my son was outside playing with." she said.

I narrowed my eyes at her tone. "She's a friend of mine from church's daughter I invited her over and she just so happened to become good friends with your son. They just clicked" I told her resting my hands on my hips.

"I would really appreciate if you let me know before hand who is a around my son before you bring them around" She said looking down at her finger nails and then back up at me.

I smiled slightly trying to contain myself from lashing out.

"This is my house so who I bring here is non of your business. You haven't been out of your room all day and i'm the one who has been watching your son. So now your so interested and concerned about who he's talking. Girl bye." I said waving her off.

"It doesn't matter I should still know who is hanging around my son" she said rolling her eyes.

I shook my head "What did your son have for breakfast today?" I questioned.

"What?" she asked furrowing her eyebrows.

"I asked you what your son had for breakfast today, because for all you know he hasn't had anything considering the fact that you didn't get up this morning to make sure he ate. It's not my job to feed  your kid but yet I did. Your so concerned about who he's around but less concerned about if he has eaten. That's pathetic don't talk to me about anything until you get yourself together first." I told her beginning to put the hot dogs in the now boiling water.

I could hear her huff and blow air from her mouth. I shook my head I knew she was older than me but mentally she was childish and only did certain things to get attention. She wasn't going to ruin my day.

*******

"Baby!" I yelled when I saw Akim pull up into the driveway later on that day. He had a few bags in his hands so I knew he had bought some more presents for tomorrow. 

I opened the door meeting him at the door. He smiled down at me giving me a quick peck on the lips. I followed him to the living room and watched as he set the new presents under the tree.  

I helped him pull off his coat afterwards and I pulled him into a big hug. I had just been needing a hug all day and getting one from him was the best  thing ever.

"What's going on?" he questioned setting down and pulling me into his lap.

"Nothing" I smiled "I just needed a hug."

He placed a sloppy kiss on my lips and I scrunched up my face whipping off my lips.

He started cracking up laughing. I hit his chest and crossed my arms over my chest. He pulled my arms apart and kissed me ever so softly.

"There" he said smiling "Stop pouting".

"I got a phone call from a lawyer named Carl today he wants to talk and for me to come in sometime after Christmas" I told him playing with the hem of  his shirt.

He nodded rubbing small circles in my back "How do you feel about that?" he asked

I shrugged " I don't know, scared I guess but i'll get through it".

He nodded "I'm gonna be here every step of the way" he told me reassuringly.

"Thanks babe" I grinned. 

Edna poked her head around the corner and right behind her was Monte. 

They where giggling and pointing at us. I looked down at our position and blushed with embarrassment.

"I'm gonna get up now" I whispered to Akim. 

I scooted off his lap and he stood to his feet running after both Edna and Monte. They ran through the house screaming and laughing it sounded like music to my ears. Laughter.

VOTE/COMMENT

~REES~