Chapter 18: Nightmares

***Hey Guys. Sorry for taking forever to update, I've had no inspiration to write. Just remember I only own Alexis and not the Avengers or anyone else from the Marvel Universe sadly***

(Alexis's P.O.V)

My breath harsh as I jerk awake, shooting straight up in my bed. A scream lodged in my throat as the nightmare's hold loosens on me. A sob escapes as tears begin streamed down my face. I curl my knees up to my chest and wrap my arms tight around them.

"Please," I plead, wishing the images to vanish and leave me in peace.

The tears blur my vision as the darkness of the room begins to get larger and more oppressing. Flashes of my father angered face invade my mind as the air gets harder to pull into my lungs. Sobs get stuck in my throat as the panic starts setting in.

Through the panicked haze enveloping me, I hear the door open, and light encases the room. The bed dips beside me as someone sits down beside me and carefully places a hand on my back. Soothing words soon follow as I raise my head shakily. Despite the tears blurring my vision, I can tell that it's Tony due to the Arc Reactors light. 

Tony is safe I remind myself. He is safe I repeat in my head as I felt the hand on my back. The panic starts to recede since I realise my father wasn't there. I feel rather than see Tony shuffle closer and place his other hand on my knee. The weight of the hand on my back is a comfort as I fight for a breathe. His voice low and soothing, helping the panic disappear from my mind.

After what seems like an age, I finally get a decent amount of air into my lungs. Tony's words were becoming clearer as the panic recedes from my mind.

"Look at me, Alexis," he whispers as he moves around in front of me. I look up as I struggle to gain another breath. "Calm down and copy what I do alright? Take a deep breath...and let it out." Taking one of my hands, he places it on his chest and covers it with his own. He mimics taking a deep breath and letting it out again. Focusing on my hand, I try to time my breathing with his. He repeats it as I attempt to copy him. Soon it gets easier to take a breath of air.

"You alright now, Shortcake?" He inquires as he moves a bit closer. I nod sharply, not trusting my voice just yet as I greedily gulp in sweet oxygen. "You sure?" He asks softly.

My tearful eyes meet his, and I see the concern emitting from his eyes. I shake my head slightly causing him to sigh and take me gently in his strong arms. He shifts, so he is leaning against the headboard with me on his lap.

"Shortcake," He croons softly, cradling my head against his shoulder. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

I shake my head and swipe at the tears on my cheeks.

"No" I whisper brokenly.

Tony nods and holds me as I cling to him. My hands were gripping his shirt as I bury my head into his shoulder. We sit there with only my quietening sobs and Tony's soft voice breaking the silence. Finally, I pull myself together and sit up, wiping my eyes. Tony transfers his arms to my shoulders.

"You alright?" He inquires gently again as his eyes gaze into mine.

"Yea," I whisper as I look down at my hands on my lap. His eyes held so much emotion I couldn't handle it. Taking a deep breath, I slip off Tony's lap and back onto the bed beside him.

"What's the time?" I ask before he can say anything concerning the mess I just was.

Shrugging, he answers," Must be about 1 am."

"Did I wake you?" I ask as I take in his sleep apparel.

He smiles and shakes his head. "No," he answers, "I was getting ready for bed. I've been done in my workshop, tinkering around for a while before J.A.R.V.I.S reminded me of Pepper's warning if I didn't have any sleep tonight."

"Oh," I smile slightly. "How did you hear me then?" I ask.

"You can thank JARVIS for telling me that you were upset."

I look up at the ceiling and smile. "Thank you, J.A.R.V.I.S," I whisper.

"You are most certainly welcome, Miss Alexis," came the reply.

I giggle at his formal tone and look at Tony. "I suppose I should get some more sleep," I sigh.

"Do you want me to stay until you fall asleep?" he asks as he sits up more and shifts to the side of the bed. I think for a moment before shaking my head.

"I should be alright," I answer, "I'll just leave the light on."

Tony nods and stands up. Stretching, he yawns loudly as I scramble back under the blankets. He strokes my hair and gives me a small smile. "Sleep well, Shortcake."

I smile back at him and watch as he walks toward the door. I turn on my side and take hold of my arc reactor. I flip it over in my hands and watch the pale blue glow pulse gently. Tony's voice startles me from my peaceful mindset. "Oh, by the way, Shortcake, most of us need to go to a big meeting out of the building tomorrow morning so we probably won't be around," he informs me as he stands in the doorway.

"Oh," I mumble and go back to staring at the arc reactor.

"Will you be okay with that?" he asks, "Loki will still be here so you won't be completely alone."

"He scares me," I whisper.

"What was that Shortcake?" he asks as he walks back into my room and sits on my bed.

"He scares me," I repeat softly.

"He scares a lot of people, but he has changed. He is still a complete arse, but he is getting better. He is still learning to interact with people," Tony tells me, "He just likes his books more than socialising with people."

"That must be lonely," I say with a frown.

"Maybe he needs someone to be a friend. All of the Avengers have tried. Even me, who he threw out the window," Tony chuckles.

I hum thoughtfully and whisper, "Maybe I could try."

"Maybe you could," He replies, "but anyway we both need to get to sleep before Pepper comes in and start growling you and me."

I giggle at the thought and swat at his hand as he attempts to ruffle my hair again.

"Goodnight Shortcake," he chuckles as he stands up and walks back out my room.

"Goodnight Tony," I whispered after him.

As my door shuts, I snuggle back down in my blankets.

"J.A.R.V.I.S?"

"Yes, Miss Alexis."

"Can you dim the lights a bit?"

"Of course," came the answer. Immediately the room darkened enough so I could sleep.

"Thank you JARVIS," I whisper to the A.I.

"I am glad to be of service."

I giggle and close my eyes. Clutching the Arc Reactor to my chest, I fall asleep with a gentle smile and thoughts of befriending a certain raven-haired god.

***Hope you enjoyed it. Not some of my best work I know but oh well. I will try update soon again***