Chapter Three

Trent

 I can't be there because I'm at fault. I know Mark plays dirty, I shouldn't have risked my teammates or the people watching.

Wind whips around me as I race across the oval. With every fibre in my body, I wish I could turn time back and stop the game from happening. With each passing footstep, guilt consumes me. I push myself to run faster, harder.

My heart hammers in my chest and sweat trickles down my forehead. I stop and gasp for air, which burns my throat.

All I can think about is her.

Her blonde hair scattered across the grass and the blood trickling down her pale complexion. I shake my head and squeeze my eyes shut, but I can't shake the image.

I enter the school hallway and lean against the exposed bricks. The rough texture scrapes against my skin as I slide to the ground. I run my fingers through my hair and tug on it.

"Ahh," I scream.

I curl my fingers into a fist and punch the wall. Pain surges through my hand, but it doesn't prevent me from punching the wall again. The skin tears and blood trickles down my fingers, creating a muddled mess of lacerated skin and guilt.

When my hand is no longer functional, I roundhouse kick the water fountain. The metal crumbles around my leg. I look at the fountain, my leg and then my hand and shake my head.

"I didn't take you as the destructive type."

My body trembles as I find the courage to turn around.

Marley

Trent is shaking like a leaf, his complexion pale like a ghost.

"I'm sorry I disturbed you. I promise I won't tell anyone."

"You're alive?"

"Are you okay Trent, you're acting strange! Do you need to see a nurse or someone?"

"I-I thought you were dead or hurt?"

"I'll find a teacher or the school counselor."

"I-um-you," he stutters.

"What are you trying to say?"

He shakes his head and runs down the hallway.

I need to find someone to help Trent because I've never seen him this upset before. What's this about me being alive? Of course I'm alive. Perhaps Trent knocked his head during the game. I hope he isn't seriously injured.

Folding my arms, I turn around and sigh. Why did I come down here and where's Sarah? I bet she bailed on me to makeout with Josh under the bleachers.

I spy the water fountain and frown. I need a drink, I hope the fountain still works. I push the button and water spouts out the tap. A scream echos down the hallway as I catch the reflection in the metal pan.

What the fuck happened to my head?

* * * * *