The Bathroom Stall | Note Fifty-Seven

Note Fifty-Seven

"Say what you wanna say, And let the words fall out, Honestly I wanna see you be brave"

"I cannot believe you blackmailed me." I muttered as I slid into the black interior of Sam's car.

Sam grinned and pulled out of my driveway, crusing down the street. "Well it worked, didn't it? You finally are going on a date with me."

"It's not a date."

"Sh, don't ruin the moment, Cora." He replied, patting my hand.

"What moment? Us both listening to Sara Bareilles urge us to be brave? Right, that moment."

"Listen, I'm sorry about tricking you into going on a date with me. Do you want to go home?" Sam asked, with the deceny of an apologetic look on his face,

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "No, it's fine. I need to get out more often."

Sam snorted." I'm surprised you know who Sara Bareilles is with all your studying and memorized trig formulas or whatever nerds do."

"Hey! I'm not living in a hole. I do social things."

Sam gave me a long look. "Speaking of social things, do you have a date to Homecoming yet?"

His question made me squirm slightly in the leather seat. "Uh, no. I don't know if I'm going to Homecoming this year."

"Cora!! Why not?" Sam asked, pulling onto the highway, "is it because no one asked you?"

"Uh, people have asked me." I muttered evasively, looking out at the flashing lights indicating road construction.

Sam stared at me. "Really? Who?"

I shrugged, not really liking all the questions. "Where are we going to eat dinner?"

He noticed my abrupt change in topic, raising an eyebrow before focusing back onto the road. "This nice Italian place my parents love."

"This is not a date, Sam." 

"Okay, okay, calm down Cora. It's not a date."

We sat in silence for the rest of the car ride, both of us listening to the radio and avoiding eye contact.  Ten minutes passed efore we finally reached a dimly lit restaurant in the middle of the busy city district, Sam unbuckling his seatblet to turn and face me.

"Hey Cora, I know this probably isn't the really best time, and I know you'll probably say no."

"What's up?"

"Do you, uh, want to go to Homecoming with me?"