Chapter Forty-Five: Three in the Morning

– Zach –

– Zach –

Nothing good has ever happened to me at three in the morning. It was always the hour I lose consciousness in a shady apartment, or the hour I narrowly avoid a slug to the face launched by a drunkard, the hour I remain helplessly awake in the eerie silence, or the hour I was with Tiffany when I convinced myself it was okay for her to be groped by several other men.

Nothing good has ever happened to me at three in the morning, and then there's Terra.

It was calm, soothing, a feeling I wouldn't quite expect if I'd imagine my first kiss with someone special. Her lips are as soft as velvet, and they were sweet, a kind of sweet that tasted better than honey. I held onto her small back when she tips her tiny toes to reach me, the cool breeze blowing her chocolate colored hair as I faintly inhale the same lavender scent of her shampoo.

It happened so slowly yet quickly at the same time, I haven't even admit to myself that I'd already fallen for her...a long time ago.

When we pull away, she covers her mouth with her two hands, then she giggles. The very sight of it makes me smile.

"Don't look this way please." She tries her best to conceal the wide grin on her face. That only makes me want to look at her more. "Damn it, don't look this way." She chuckles shyly.

"I can't." I answer, enjoying the view.

She's beautiful.

"No, yes you can!" she laughs and proceeds to cover my face instead with her flapping hands. The entire street is silent apart from our voices echoing into the night. Well, mostly just hers.

I raise my hands to touch hers, and I gently move them away and find myself looking into my reflection on her pair of green eyes, shining as clear as crystal. She stares at me wide-eyed before hopping into my arms, burying her face. It's amazing how she fits perfectly.

"Now you can't see me, heh." She muffles, seemingly amused by herself, and I actually feel my heart ache from witnessing her surreally adorable response.

I wonder if God knew what He was doing to me when He sent her into my life.

"So..." she says eventually, enjoying the moment. Neither of us shifts our position when she asks, "...are we a couple now?"

"I think so." I say, resting my chin on her head.

"Really?" she thinks aloud, as if she couldn't believe it.

"Well yeah, unless you don't want–"

"No." she squeezes me tighter, refusing to let me finish. "No, you're mine now, okay?"

I chuckle, "Okay."

This feels familiar.

"We just had a Fault in Our Stars moment." We say in unison, and she lifts her head to face me, her eyes lighting up upon hearing me say it with her. She looks excited, as if her system is overflowing with too much joy, so much that it is pouring into me.