Chapter 41

By late afternoon on Monday, we were looking a little worse for the wear. We'd stayed up late... Sean was so eager to get started that he dragged me out to the all night grocery store at 11 pm where we wandered through every aisle to find what we needed for his cooking lessons.

We bought twice as much as we needed because we were going to cook it all on Monday to get the experience and then cook again on Tuesday for Owen and Sean didn't want to go shopping twice.

I'm sure we were entertaining for people that were also shopping at night. I was in pajamas and flip flops while we wandered. Sean insisted on continuing our Japanese tutoring at the store and he would pick something up off the shelf and hold it out to me, intoning the name seriously in Japanese until I'd repeated it perfectly and put the item in the cart. Unfortunately, I was falling asleep on my feet while we checked out.

"Sorry, Pookie, I guess I could have taken a list and left you home to sleep while I shopped." He apologized, claiming my hand as we walked to the car.

"It's okay." I said, stifling a yawn. "If you'd left me home and asleep, then I wouldn't have gotten to learn how to say peanut butter in Japanese."

Sean laughed. "I guess not. I'm not sure how helpful it will be in a social situation but it was fun to say." He opened the car door for me, letting me settle in my seat while he put the groceries in the trunk and came around to get in behind the wheel.

I fell asleep in the car and he unloaded all the groceries before waking me up long enough to take me in and tuck me into bed.

We slept until almost noon and I did enjoy waking up in his arms. He'd again tried to take over the entire bed while I slept and I woke up with his arms around me... as well as his legs. "Sean..." I pushed at his arms. "Time to wake up... it's late. We're not going to have time to make everything we want to."

"Shhhh Pookie. Just a few more minutes." He mumbled before kissing my neck.

"Sean..." I whined. "C'mon... I have to go to the bathroom."

His eyes popped open at that and he shifted me so that he could look at me. "Really?"

"Yes, it's almost noon. It's been forever since I went to the bathroom."

"Okay, okay." He said with a sigh and a frown before loosening his grip on me so that I could get out of bed.

"Thank you." I said, bending to kiss him lightly. "Get up lazy, I'll teach you some breakfast tricks." I said before grabbing my bag and heading into the bathroom. I emerged a while later, fully dressed and ready to go, finding the bedroom empty. I smiled and headed down to the kitchen.

"POOOKIE!" Sean grinned at me.

I laughed. "Sean..." I shook my head at him. "Boy, when you wake up finally, you WAKE up." I teased, going over to hug him and look up at him. "Hungry?"

"Yes." He nodded.

'Okay then... how about eggs to get started today?" I asked.

"Sounds good."

"Great. We can make egg mugs." I said, grabbing a couple eggs, milk, cheese and some sausage crumbles that we'd gotten the night before. "And we just need mugs."

"Gotcha." Sean said, going over and grabbing two mugs down from the cupboard.

I studied them for a moment before looking up at him. "Get the notebook." I said. "You're going to want to write it down." I said. "It's pretty easy. It's a microwave cooking thing." I stressed the word microwave.

He mumbled under his breath, concentrating on writing my words down in Japanese.

I waited until he was looking at me again. "Microwave." I said, pointedly glancing at the mugs. One of them had a metal rim and printing on it.

His brow furrowed. "Yes, I wrote that down." I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Okay, time out for a moment." I said, taking his hand and grabbing my phone. "This is why one of the mugs is a bad idea." I said, pulling up YouTube and searching for what I wanted. I shoved my phone under his nose. "Watch."

His eyes rounded as he watched the microwave go 'ka-BLAM' and the entire kitchen caught on fire. "Uhhhh..."

"No metal in the microwave." I said, tapping the notebook. "Write it down and go get a different mug."

"I never realized that was ... so drastic." He said as he jotted it down and moved back to the cupboard to swap out the mug.

"Definitely not a good idea." I said. "So no leaving spoons or forks in the mugs either."

He nodded vigorously and jotted it down.

I smiled and assembled the ingredients for the egg mugs before putting them in the microwave for a few minutes, stirring them and then adding one more minute. "Done." I said, pulling them out and sprinkling them both with more cheese before I handed his over and we went to sit at the counter to eat.

Once we finished our breakfast, and Sean watched a ton more 'ka-blam' microwave videos while we ate, I cleaned up our breakfast dishes and put him to work chopping things.

I mean, why wouldn't you have a doctor who's done a surgery rotation chopping onions and potatoes before you have them slice up a bunch of apples?

Best sous chef ever.

"Brilliant." I complimented him. "You could totally compete in a Top Chef prep contest."

He laughed and beamed at me. "Thanks, Pookie."

I'd been telling him the steps to making pie crust while he was chopping and he was so cute, pausing to write things down and then repeating the steps to me in Japanese. We'd decided to just make one pie and that it was okay to have a slice for dessert tonight.

Well, how could I possibly make Sean wait when it was his favorite dessert...?