Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Bliss talked as fast as she could about everything she could think of. If there was anything she knew a man hated, it was senseless chatter. The only problem was that she annoyed the other men, too.

It was worth the price.

Besides, Colt knew that her plan was to make the man quit.

Last night had been the same as the night before, but without the awkward stare. It still confused her, the way she felt he was reading the thoughts of her soul. A man shouldn’t take liberties such as those for no apparent reason. They should be reaching Plateau soon, and she couldn’t wait to be out of the wagon. These trips always seemed to drag on and on until they got to town, mostly out of anticipation. There was one person she couldn’t wait to see. Her long-time friend, Minnie Graceland, would be expecting her and Bliss couldn’t wait to catch up with her.

She saw Clint glance back out of the corner of her eye, and then leaned a few inches closer to her.

“Why did your friend have to come along again?” he asked.

“You mean Damian?” Bliss shrugged.

“He seems awfully protective of that letter he’s got to send.”

Bliss rolled her eyes. “There is nothing wrong with Damian. He’s a good family friend and my father and I know him better than anyone. Your years of not trusting people make you skittish.”

“I’m not skittish,” Clint protested.

“Really? Then why do I feel like you think everyone I’m around is a suspect for you?” Bliss crossed her arms.

She needed to find out how to press his buttons and annoy him.

“Being skittish ain’t the same as being cautious. There’s a fine line between them.”

“And you’re straddling it.”

Clint shot her a glare out of the corner of his eye and clammed up. She should have known better than to push him. Regular conversations with the man didn’t come too often and she should have snatched the opportunity while she had the chance instead of arguing with him.

Just then, Plateau came into view.

It was a beautiful town, with a tall, wide butte of either side that rose up in the sky as their soft hues of orange or brown faded in and out of each other. Saguaro cacti stood here and there around the town, standing taller and more proud than a man. The buildings of the town scattered around in a small area with streets weaving between them, serving as the only map of the small town’s layout.

Bliss sighed contentedly and folded her hands in her lap as a smile crept over her face. She was finally near civilization.

*****

Clint hopped down out of the wagon and looked around the town of Plateau. He had hoped to not see the town for a while, but it appeared that his plan wasn’t working out for him. It was a cozy little town, and looked inviting enough, but those men he had met the other day didn’t give him a good impression about the rest of the people who lived here.

He heard Miss Cooper clear her throat, and Clint looked over to see her staring at him as if she was waiting for him to help her down. Clint looked back at Colt and Damian, but they were already gone into the store they were parked in front of. Sighing, he placed his hands on either side of Miss Cooper’s waist and helped her to the ground. He heard a quick intake of breath from her as her feet hit the ground and she quickly pulled away from his reach.

Women were always afraid of him for some reason. Only Miss Cooper hadn’t struck him as the kind who would fear him. She had more spunk than most of the mere flakes of true women he had met.