Chapter 40: Courting

My first free night wasn't different from the ones prior, but for one detail. In the morning, I found a small pouch on Lord Einarr's pillow.

His side of the bed was still warm. I dressed as fast as I could, considering that bending was becoming increasingly difficult. I grabbed the leather bag and I went to get breakfast.

I found Lord Einarr in the main room, seated at the table, finishing his bowl. I stood on the threshold, unsure of what to do. How was one to behave when they were free, but not quite? What was my current status: servant, concubine? Could I sit with the men or should I serve them?

"Here you are, Sunngifu! Did you sleep well?" He had noticed me. It was too late to turn back.

"Very well, and a little too long, my Lord." I didn't move, waiting for a clue that failed to appear.

"You must be famished. Here," he patted the bench beside him, "come and join me."

I perched uneasily on the edge of the cushion. Any further and I would be unable to get up. Foraging in my purse, I handed him my find. "You forgot this, I believe."

A playful smile stretched his lips. "This is for you, little dreki."

I gawked at him. "For me? Are you certain?"

"Is it so unusual for a man to offer a gift to his intended? It is yours. Open it."

I was voiceless. It was so unexpected. I had grown so used to having nothing of my own that it felt strange to receive a present.

I kept it on my palm for a while, watching it as if it would vanish any moment. Then I opened it in frenzy, revealing a string of beads nestled in the leather. I held it in the light; gold and amber shining softly. "It is beautiful, my Lord, thank you."

He grinned and arranged his gift around my neck, his fingers caressing the marks caused by the chafing of the collar. "It will hide these and compliment your beauty."

"You didn't have to give me anything." I could not refuse to marry him, even if I wanted to. My father's word was binding in their law. My consent wasn't required.

"I did wed an unwilling woman once, Sunngifu. It is a bad omen. To avoid repeating my error, I intend to court you until the ceremony."

Was I still dreaming? I pinched my arm and winced. I was awake. Lord Einarr wanted to court me. The idea was so preposterous that I burst in laughter. I could see him getting miffed at my reaction but I couldn't stop.

"I'm sssooorry, my Lord, I...." Tears flooding my cheeks, I bent over in uncontrollable mirth as I pictured him on one knee, harp in hand, singing poetry.

Shaking his head, he ignored me and focused on the slice of bread he was buttering.

Slowly, I calmed down enough to think. Memories popped in my mind, of his care and kindness, but also of his harsh punishments. He seemed annoyingly certain of his success. Did he really believe that gifts and sweet words would be enough to win me over, when he had given me so much grief? I might have accepted my fate, but I still resented how he had forced it on me. I trusted him to take care of me and our children; I would fulfill my duties as a wife, and would certainly find some of them pleasurable. That was the deal. Loving him was never part of it.

So I placated my humblest smile on my face: "I apologize, my Lord, this was unexpected. It is very generous of you, I am flattered."

I don't think he was duped. He knew me well, but thought he was up for the challenge. The glance he gave me said so. I beat my eyelashes, defying him. This was a battle I intended to win.