45: Said Goodbyes

I woke up to a dog licking my face. A small puppy with a relatively adorable face. A tongue as pink as a starburst and as small as a goldfish. Who am I kidding, the puppy was the cutest thing I had ever seen. "Who does it belong to?" I asked as it continued to paw at my hands. I gushed at the playful nature of the puppy.

"Yours. If you want her." Carter said easily. I looked up at him, mid-stomach rub. "She's gotten most of her shots. She'll have to get the rest over a three month period. All of her appointments are already paid for. I've already applied for her insurance, so if you want her, you can have her. All expenses paid, of course."

It was in this moment I knew I was royally fucᴋed. So fucᴋed that I was sure I would become unfucᴋable.

"You're quiet. Too quiet."

"I'm just," I paused to huff. Obnoxiously. "You rock, man." Carter burst into laughter at this, almost losing his balance.

"Thanks Bailey. That means a lot." He said once he sobered up.

"No, like, you rock. You're the best, and I'm going to miss you a hell of a lot. And, you suck for buying me a dog and paying for it knowing that every time I wake up to this dog , I'll be forced to think of you."

"That was kind of the point." I shoved him when he began chuckling. "You will never forget me because I'm selfish like that." He leaned forward to kiss me.

"What time is your flight?" I mumbled, disregarding the puppy currently skipping around the bed.

"We have to leave around one, but we have like four hours to kill." He plopped down onto the bed, beside me. "Since it's your birthday, what do you want to do?"

"I have everything I need right here, along with a dog that we still haven't named." I nestled myself in his chest and traced patterns on it. By this time, the puppy curled up into a ball and fell asleep. She was simply the cutest thing I had ever seen.

"What do you have in mind?"

"Primus. It means first in Latin, and I believe I've experienced many firsts this year, don't you think?" I continued drawing patterns into his chest as he played with the ends of my hair.

"What's next on your to-do list?"

"We're going to PetCo."

~∞~

"She's adorable. Look at her little face. The tiny eyes. I'm getting baby fever," Talia said.

"First of all, it's a dog. Second, did you forget that you're pregnant?" Ashely countered. "What's her name?"

"Primus. Cute and deep."

"This was a birthday present I'm guessing?" Reese entered the room with a glass of wine in her hand. I nodded as she made herself comfortable on the couch. "From our beloved boyfriend?"

"Yeah. It was a surprise." I continued to stroke the fur of Primus as she lulled herself to sleep. "And I think I'm in too deep."

"It's too late for that realization, hun. He's leaving today." Ashley said. "Speaking of, what time are we leaving?"

"Who is this we that you speak of?" I arched an eyebrow at her.

"Us. Your friends. His friends." Talia said. "Just because you two are together doesn't mean that we cannot say goodbye too."

"Plus, you need someone to catch you when you cry," Reese added. I glared at her.

"I'm not going to cry. When have I ever cried?" I countered.

"When we ran out of beer at three in the morning," Talia said.

"At our commencement ceremony," Ashley added.