Chapter 25. Privacy.

Breathing becomes more and more difficult. My eyes roll in the back of my head as my body twitches uncontrollably.

But, then suddenly, it stops. The pain ceases as my senses come back to me; slowly and one by one. I can smell the icy damp air, I can taste the blood in my mouth, I can hear the rustling on the trees, I can feel my body exhausted.

Now, with my new found freedom, I should take the opportunity to run. But, I can't force myself to move a muscle. Even my eyelids feel heavy.

"What's this I hear in your mind, Alice? Thinking about leaving?" Voldemort says, loudly, as I lay panting on the ground; recovering.

In my mind? I mentally kick myself. Snape had warned me. He said he taught me Occlumency for a reason... Now I see the reason. Quickly, I board my mind up, building walls around my thoughts and feelings.

"No use in trying to hide it all now. I already saw everything," He says slowly.

I open one of my eyes, slowly. My wand is only feet away from me. Maybe if I get it in time, I could throw up a spell and keep him occupied long enough for me to apparate? Who am I kidding? I won't be able to move an inch without the Death Eaters attacking me.

"Get up!" Voldemort shouts,

My stubborn personality makes it's appearance. I turn my head and clench my jaw, not budging.

"I said, get up!" He shouts again.

I feel the fire starting to burn beneath my skin. I let out a scream and try to get to my knees, but I can't even stay up from more than two seconds. The pain knocks me to the ground.

He decreases the pain to a lull throbbing in my head. I take the opportunity to scramble to my feet, swiftly grabbing my wand and leaning against the tree for support.

"Alice, you really should follow directions better," He taunts, causing all the Death Eaters to laugh loudly. Bellatrix's cackle causes my blood to run cold.

I taste the saltiness of my blood in my mouth. Not taking my eyes off of Voldemort, I spit on the ground. The Death Eaters take offense to that and their laughter turns into growls and snarls of hate. Anger flashes over Voldemort's face as well.

"Alice, come," He beckons me with a curl of his finger.

My brain screams at me, begging me to move. But, I can't force myself to do it. I won't fall prey to him.

I hear a whimper, and out of the corner of my eye, I see Hermione begging me to go to him. I still do not falter.

"Tabitha," Voldemort calls out.

Much to my surprise, Tabitha walks out from behind a group of Death Eaters. Her legs are shaking and her eyes are full of fear.

"Tabitha, you were Alice's good friend, were you not?" He asks her. She nearly faints when he looks her in the eye.

"Y-y-yes," She stutters.

Voldemort looks back to me, amusement written on his face. He saw our broken friendship in my memories. He knew all about it.

"Bring her to me," He commands of Tabitha.

My heart pounds in my chest. I look to Tabitha in fear. Is my fate really in the hands of my best friend that betrayed me? I try my hardest to stand tall, but I meet her eyes, pleading with her.

"Go, Tabitha," Voldemort repeats, raising his voice slightly. She looks away from my eyes and takes a step forward.

"You were her friend!" Ron cries out, angrily.