Chapter 8

Robin didn't handle the news that well. He brooded and barely said a word. That's when you know he's holding his anger in.

There's nothing much I can do to help him. He will have to get over this eventually. My parents aren't the type to change their minds. Plus, they can be very persuasive. 

"Don't think of your cousins as babysitters. More like bodyguards, trainers, and your friends. That's pretty normal, right?" My mother comments.

"Trainers? Damn." I purse my lips at the news. Niccolo and Lorenzo are definitely not the best trainers. Sure, they are capable and qualified enough. They have a lot of experience. It's great except when it comes to training, it's hell. There's "hell week," and then there's hell week with the twins. Their training is extreme and I feel bad for all the poor suckers who have to train under them. 

My dad laughs suddenly.

"What's funny?" I snap out of my mind and glance at him curiously.

"Your face looks so worried. You'll be fine dear." My father ruffles my hair. I try to fix it as soon as he lets go. 

"Why can't you train us like the good ole days?" 

"Your mom and I are really busy. We have a lot on our hands. Niccolo and Lorenzo offered to look after you two."

I'm sure they offered with a wicked grin.

"..but we will teach you one more lesson before we leave." My mother adds with an interesting smile. Of course, my curiosity instantly piques. 

"Will you finally show me your knife skills?" I get all excited. I've heard so much about her talents with knives from my uncles. My mother never lets me in on that excitement. She always says, 'I gave up that that life years ago.'

"Will you finally tell us about yourself?" Robin speaks up. He looks at my father with a challenging look. My father and him lock eyes unwaveringly for what feels like ages before my father nods. 

"It's about time, but of course, after your lessons." My parents stand up.

"Wait, right at this moment?" Robin and I exchange glances in surprise. 

"We are running on borrowed time. Let's do this." My father states. "Robin, we can head over to your place." 

"But..." I begin.

"Time is of the essence." My father says with a strict tone. 

"You can come with me dear." My mom smiles. "You might want to wear something lightweight and fit." 

"Okay, give me ten minutes then." I head to my room and change into my black leggings, black Nike rosches, and a fitted black tank. Combing my hair into a tight ponytail, I check myself in the mirror. I wipe off the light makeup I have on and head back downstairs.

My mom is dressed in something similar. She must have had a change of clothes in the car. In her arms, she holds a black box of some sort. Placing it on the dining room table, she unlocks the box by undoing the latches and the combination lock in the middle.

I peek over her shoulder as she opens the lid up. 

Lined neatly within the box, the box reveals multiple sharpened knives and daggers.

"Ooooh. Shiny objects." My eyes glue onto the biggest knife. 

"Naomi..." my mom says warningly, even though she knows I'm messing with her. 

"I'm an adult. Gosh." Then, I see a smaller case behind this box. "What's in there?" I look to my mother for permission before grabbing it. I assume there are more knives in here. Eyeing the dimensions of the smooth wooden case, I would assume there are only three knives. It is a bit thicker than I expect so there must be two layers. My fingers run across the engravings on the top. In nicely-etched cursive, my initials are carved on the top of the case.