FOURTEEN

He winced under the pressure. "Are you really going to do this?"

"I don't know," I said quietly, taking out my knife. "I don't know what to do."

"I can't . . . I don't understand—" I could feel him shaking. My chest tightened. "Why?"

"I don't know. I don't want to." I took a deep breath. "Just come with me."

"My home is here, and so is yours."

"This was never my home," I corrected, holding the knife to his heart. "I never belonged here."

Lance's shoulders sagged and I could almost hear him—feel him—shatter inside. I needed to leave. By now, the RA had been alerted, getting their gear ready. There were shouts coming from inside.

"Lance!" Demetria yelled. "Fight back!"

But he was too broken to move. "I thought I was finally . . . you've ruined everything." Lance shook, from fear or from hatred I would never know. "You used me."

"I used myself," I said, setting my jaw. "I thought everything was fine. I was going to stay, believe me."

"Fight back!" Charlotte screeched, but Lance didn't move. I slowly pulled him back, towards the horse.

"Let her," Lance whispered. My eyes widened, surprised. Why wasn't he fighting me? "Let her do as she pleases," he said louder.

"Get on the horse," I pointed it at him. "Now. That's an order."

He did as he was told, and I tied his hands behind his back with a piece of cloth. "No one moves or he's dead," I warned, staring them down. Lorelle stood tall, but her eyes were shining. Lance was pale. His hair was in his eyes but he made no effort to move it.

I slid onto the front. Everyone was white-faced. I turned to find a pistol in Lance's pocket, and slowly pulled it out, aiming it at all of them.

"Go inside," I said harshly. "Now." No one moved. Frustrated, I scowled. "I said go."

Charlotte was the first to act, stepping back. Darren held my gaze, but he also followed Charlotte. Aland retreated. Lorelle and Demetria were left.

"You'll never get away with our fastest riders on your tail," Demetria said, coldly. "I'll alert them immediately. They already know something is wrong."

"Try it." The pistol in my hand was steady as I aimed it at her forehead. "Go ahead. Tell them. I have taken down armies. What makes you think I won't be able to shoot your riders down?" I pressed the pistol to Lance's temple. "I just have to pull the trigger. You have five seconds. Get in or I'll shoot." Kill all the threats.

She didn't move. Lorelle held her ground. She watched me carefully. "Adalia, you can do better than this."

"You don't deserve to speak," I spat. "You killed him. You killed Xavier and I will never forgive you for it." Her lips trembled but she didn't dare move.

"Five. . ." I started counting down. "Four. . ." She wasn't moving. Her eyes were wide. "Three. . ." I was going to kill her. It almost felt funny that I was finally going to get my revenge. "Two." She didn't blink. "One." I stared at her for a second. Lorelle covered her ears.

And then I did it.

The bullet flew, grazing Demetria's skin right above her shoulder. She gave a hiss of pain from the heat of the bullet.

"No assassin can kill their friends," I said hoarsely, and Lance's voice came from behind me.

"You're not our friend."