Chapter 7

Chapter 7

                “So, let’s be completely honest here with each other.” I started off, unable to stop grinning like a maniac since the moment I walked into Julianne’s bedroom later that week. “Julianne Hart, what are your opinions of a certain blonde male specimen, specifically named Ryan?”

                Julianne was turned from me, so I could only catch a glimpse of the side of her face. But even through that, I could see Julianne’s cheeks glowing- turning all warm and red. I bit my lip from excitement, trying to hold back a squeal. Could you blame me, though? Julianne hasn’t dated anyone for the longest time, let alone have a tiny crush on someone. Ever since it happened, everyone in the male population decided to keep their distance from Julianne. None of them had enough balls to date someone like Julianne. I didn’t see what their problem was, though. Julianne might’ve been through some tough times, but she was still human. She was soft spoken, incredibly smart and exceptionally beautiful.

                “Hmm, Ryan?” Julianne asked, looking at me as if she didn’t know who or what I was talking about. “Doesn’t ring a bell.”

                I raised an eyebrow teasingly. “Oh, really? The name Ryan Leighton doesn’t ring any bells?” I asked as Julianne shook her head innocently. “Are you sure? I’m pretty sure Ryan Leighton was the guy you were ogling over the other day at lunch.”

                Julianne’s eyes widened as she snapped her head over at me with a look of disbelief. “What?!” she screeched, grabbing a pillow from her bed to toss over at me. “I was not ogling over Ryan!”

                I chuckled, clutching my stomach from laughing so hard. “Are you sure, Jules?” I asked, provoking her even more. “From my perspective, you were looking at him the way a fat kid looks at cake.”

              Just when I thought that Julianne’s cheeks couldn’t turn any redder, they flush into a deep, scarlet shade. “What?!” she squealed. “Do you think he noticed that?”

                My jaw drops as an eager gasp escapes my parted lips. “Julianne Hart, you like someone!” I beamed, biting my lower lip from excessive excitement. “You like Ryan!”

                Julianne groaned, burying her face into her palms. “Everly,” she muttered, looking at me with a playful glare, “I’ve talked to him once. It would be absurd if I’ve managed to develop a crush on someone within an hour over lunch.”

                I shrugged, grinning from ear to ear. “I don’t know, Julianne.” I paused, poking her arm gently. “You never know what could happen between you two. Ryan seems like a nice guy.”

                Julianne narrowed her eyes, suddenly looking gloomy as her gaze fixated on her beige carpet. She fumbled with her fingers that were placed on her lap, taking in a deep breath of air. “Ryan would never be interested in someone like me, Everly.” She started off. I opened my mouth to protest against her statement, but she beat me to it. “He has girls falling over his feet; he could pick any girl he wants. He’d be completely insane if he chose someone like me. I should just get over him now while it’s just a stupid crush that I have for him.”

                Moments like these are when I wish that all the negativity that Julianne has gone through would just disappear. Ever since students from our school found out about Julianne’s depression, they’ve rebuffed her, made her feel unwelcomed. All of the unnecessary comments made about her have really taken its toll Julianne’s confidence. “Jules,” I sighed, holding her palm in mine, “you’re amazing and Ryan would be an idiot if he ever chose some dumb bimbo over you. And I’m not just saying this because I’m your best friend, okay? I’m saying this because it’s the truth. You really should give it a shot with Ryan, from what Jace has told me, he’s a really good guy.”