Chapter 18

A blurry few hours later I'm released from the hospital and advised to get some rest. The guys in the ambulance must have said something to the hospital staff because no one made me sign papers or pay for anything. I'm not sure if my brother's death had anything to do with it but I'm grateful for the charity all the same.

I still feel shaky and just want to go to bed but I can't. I need to find Aunt Kelly. I actually hope Uncle John is okay because it feels like my life, hell, my reality is spinning out of control.

The storm

The lightening

The fire

The cemetery

The Watchman...

I mean, what the hell is going on? Am I cursed or something?

I walk up to the lady behind the receptionist's desk who's busy typing something on a computer.

"Excuse me. Can you tell me the room number for John Jacoby?"

She looks up at me like I've just asked the most ridiculous thing she's ever heard. "Sorry, I don't have that information. This is the emergency room." her sarcasm practically floating in the air.

"Oh, um, okay, where can I get..."

"Connie." the nurse who treated me appears to my right. "Give her his room number!" she demands. "For Christ's sake, her house was on fire!"

~~~

Before she knew I was there, I heard a doctor tell Aunt Kelly that Uncle John would have to stay a couple more days for observation. Apparently, he's being treated for severe smoke inhalation and second degree burns on his right arm and leg. I stood in the doorway and watched the relief wash over her face when he finally told her that Uncle John should be okay. It was almost like those words gave Aunt Kelly permission to pull away from her bed-side vigil. It's obvious she feels guilty for everything that happened (like she caused lightening to strike the house or something) and now she's punishing herself for it. She's not thinking straight and I hate seeing her this way.

When the doctor leaves the room she finally sees me and her face lights up.

"I'll be back soon, honey." she kisses Uncle John's cheek as he continues to sleep. She looks back at me and stands, holding out her hands. I rush to her arms and instantly start to cry. Her arms wrap around me and I'm instantly comforted. Just like how Mom used to make me feel. Her hand cups the back of my head and she whispers, "Thank God you're here. I don't know what I would have done if anything had happened to y--"

"I'm okay." I interrupt.

She starts to cry and hugs me a little tighter. "I-I don't know what to do." she sniffs. "I mean, I think we still have a few things we can salvage but from what they told me..." she pauses and hiccups. "The house is a total loss."

"It'll be okay." I tell her. "We'll figure it out--but will you finally let me help you now?" I ask.

Aunt Kelly pulls back to look me in the eyes. "What do you mean, honey?"

"We need a place to stay, don't we?" I say, smiling through tears streaming down my cheeks. Her face contorts into a half smile, half concerned expression as she pulls me into her usual tight hug again.

"Yes. Yes, we do, sweet girl." she whispers.