Chapter 18

Four years later...

Lauren was certain that Manhattan in summertime was the closest approximation to hell on earth. The air grew thick and heavy with heat, the streets reeked of garbage, air conditioners dripped their murky water onto her cheeks, and her jet black hair became an untamable disaster.

It was June, the middle of her fourth New York summer. This one was particularly excruciating because Normani, her best friend, had gotten engaged over weekend. Overnight, their discussion topics had gone from medical research to centerpieces and flower girls and the virtues of the Kleinfeld bridal superstore over the snooty Vera Wang boutique on Madison Avenue.

They had been introduced by mutual friends at a cocktail party held in the outdoor sculpture garden at the Met. They'd both been the only females chosen for the prestigious pediatric surgical residency. They were full of ambition and energy, both having just moved from other places, new to the city. They had been instantly comfortable with each other, so naturally in tune that their friends had laughingly accused them of already knowing each other.

That afternoon, Lauren and Normani ate lunch at the crowded sandwich place in East Village. Behind the counter, fat men in white T-shirts made Philly cheese steaks and chicken parm subs, while sweat dripped down their doughy faces. Young guys in suits dabbed at their foreheads with cheap paper napkins, and women gave up the ghost and tied their hair back in high ponytails. Normani didn't seem to notice a bit of it. Her face was radiant and dry; her brown bob fell neatly against her shoulders, causing Lauren to wonder whether engagement was so powerful that it even affected sweat glands.

"By the way," Normani said. "I went to a Mets game with Marcus and his boys from the firm last night. There was this one really cute girl. Her name is Joelle. I was thinking maybe we could go on a double date sometime."

Lauren lifted one brow and shrugged, trying to banish the thought that no one had gone on a double date since 1953.

"Sure," she said flippantly. "Set it up."

"I know this probably sounds selfish, but I want you to have a great date for my wedding," the caramel-skinned one said."And that Monica skank will not make the cut."

She was right, Lauren thought. It sounded totally selfish, and stupid as well.

"And who knows," Normani went on. "Maybe you and this girl will hit it off and end up married."

Lauren rolled her eyes. "I honestly don't know if I'll ever get married," she said, mostly as a means of changing the subject. "I'm married to New York-Presbyterian Hospital."

Four years ago, Lauren had the best and worst year of her life. The best because she was accepted into one of the most competitive pediatric surgical residency programs in the nation. She was one of the thirteen residents chosen, out of two thousand applicants. The worst because she had decided to walk away from the only person she had ever truly loved. Lauren shuddered and steeled herself. She refused to revisit that dark place, she kept those thoughts locked away. That was past and it should remain there.

"Oh sweetie! NYPH won't keep you warm at night," Normani said, interrupting her thoughts. "Of course you'll get married. Girls like us always get married. You'll find someone, I promise."

Lauren took in a long, deep breath. "Mani, I don't mean that I won't find anyone," she said. "I mean, maybe I don't want to get married." She had her own ghosts haunting her, and she couldn't commit herself to anybody right now, and probably not ever.

Normani's brown eyes grew wide for a moment, and then she broke into a smile. "We all have those moments of doubt before we meet the right person," she said. "You'll see."