23

PLEASE MAKE ME SMILE AND VOTE BY CLICKING THAT STAR AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN! :)

He straightened, turned away, and I knew that he was done speaking about it. If I kept pushing, he'd just leave.

I was expecting him to leave.

But he surprised me when he sat on the ground beside me instead.

"You're the last person I want to hurt, Parker."

I had to take a moment to gather my emotions. Noah was so intense, his words often meaningful that I found myself paying closer attention when he spoke, less I missed the meaning behind them.

"That's more than enough for me," I confessed truthfully. "To know that you feel that way."

And to brighten the mood, I grinned at him. "Want some food?"

There was a soft exhale of breath from him, as if he was unsatisfied of the situation, but I didn't look at his expression, afraid of what I'd see there, and rummaged in my bag instead.

"It's called Daifuku, a Japanese snack," I went on, opening the Ziploc bag where I kept them. "It's a mochi rice cake. Mom made it and it's my favorite. Try it."

I shoved it in his mouth.

Gasps...

I can't believe I did that!

And then he started chewing.

I giggled. Giggles turned into laughter, until my shoulders were shaking and he was grinning at me closemouthed.

We're being silly together.

Great! Start naming your kids.

"Is it your free period too?" I asked him. I was in a good mood now, and he looked like he was too.

He finished his food before replying, "Sure."

But the crooked smile on his lips made me narrow my eyes at him. Did he skip again?

"Everyone is talking about the Provincial Exams," I commented, biting into the soft gelatinous cake. "Did you start reviewing yet?" 

He shook his head.

I sighed. "Me neither. I should start. I wouldn't want to get a low score."

He rested the back of his head against the wall, bending his right leg so that he could rest his arm on it. "Does it mean I'm dumb if I get a low score on my exam?"

"Well..." I bit my lip. "It means you didn't study."

He smirked. "That's a polite way to put it. Tell me then, how do you measure a man's intelligence?"

I frowned. "You mean in school?"

He turned his head to look at me, lips curving into a smile. "Ah, but that's the real question, isn't it?"