Chapter 1 Back in Town

Chapter 1

Back in town

Leaning against the counter my eyes roamed the almost empty diner. Except for an old man in the far back booth no one was here. I looked at the empty red vinyl booths hoping they would magically fill with people.

Sighing I grabbed the baby blue towel and wiped the white marble counter for the sixth time. I am a person who likes to keep busy so no customers is torture for me. It was nine in the morning which is slow for us. Our morning rush pasted as people stopped by before work or school. Now only a hand full come in until the lunch rush around twelve.

The Pot O'Gold diner is famous for its homemade meals but fast food is much quicker for people now a days. No one slows down for a good old fashion hot meal. Their lose. Jack and Lucielle McTern run this diner but people say their nephew owns it. I have worked here for a few years and never seen this mysterious owner whoever he is. Talk around town is he left with his inheritance but bought this diner for his aunt and uncle before he left.

Accidently I knocked the sugar packets over. Great! I bent down to pick them up causing my thigh high blue uniform skirt to rise a bit higher. The man in the corner seemed too wrapped up staring at his hands to see me. A strand of my red hair fell over my eyes.

Returning the sugar to there original spot I took off my elastic band and retied my blood red long hair into a low ponytail. If Ben found out my hair was down in public he'd have a cow. My stomach clenched in fear at the thought of him upset.

The little bell above the diner door rang indicating a new customer. I straightened up and flashed a smile like I always do.

A tall broad shouldered man in a open black leather jacket stood at the doorway. He turned his bronze face from side to side searching the diner causing a strand of jet black hair to shag over his flat forehead. His crystal blue eyes roamed the diner before settling on me. His eyes looked me over in an uncomfortable way before he walked over to the counter.

His brown worn boots hit the ground silently as his long lean legs stretched foward effortlessly. I found myself staring straight into his hard piercing eyes unable to look away. I gulped as he sat on the red vinyl stool in front of me. This man was in good shape. Long lean legs, strong forearms, wide chest, broad shoulders, wide bronze hands and I am practically alone with him.

I flashed him a bright smile "Welcome to The Pot O'Gold what can I get you?"

His cold eyes looked me up and down his mouth pulled downwards. "Coffee, black two spoons of sugar."

Nodding I poured his coffee well aware of his eyes on me. With shakey hands I placed the mug in front of him smiling weakly.

"Can I get you anything else?" I asked

The stranger ignored me and took a large gulp of his coffee. Feeling uncomfortable in his presence I went to the other side of the counter cleaning an imaginary stain. The old man stood up and placed a twenty on the table than walked out. He bought one cup of coffee that was barely three dollars.

I picked up the money and his mug than wiped the booth down with a towel. Slipping the towel into the large front pocket of my uniform I washed the mug at the sink behind the counter. I rang up the man's price up and put the twenty in.

"What about your tip?" a deep voice said

I turned to the stranger who was eyeing me suspiciously but his eyes still hard. At that moment I realized how handsome he is. He had a nice square jaw, straight smooth nose, flawless bronze skin and a dark stubble. Not to mention those icey smoldering blue eyes.