2. Call to Action

Eden

Come on, Masquerade. Where are you?

I kept examining my board, trying to find some sort of connection, but was having very little luck. Yes, there were little clues that connected people, but not enough to prove that someone might actually help Daisy. Who would have it in them to help her? She was a crazy bitch. 

A knock on my door pulled me out of my investigation. "Eden, are you in there?"

Peter. He was going to freak if he saw this. I quickly stumbled a yes and ran to the door, opening it to reveal my friend. Well, not really my friend. It was a bit strange, because our parents were dating, and it hadn't been very long before they moved in. Neither of us were happy about the situation, but had grown a little bit closer over time. 

"Hey, are you busy?" Peter asked.

"It depends," I said. "What do you want?"

"Leslie's here," he said. "Luke's sister. She wants to talk to you."

Of course she did. I should have known this would happen eventually. "Did you tell her I was here?" I asked.

"I said I wasn't sure and that I'd come check," Peter said. "What do you want me to tell her?"

We easily could have lied and said I wasn't here, but then I thought about how hard it must have been for Leslie to learn that her brother was dead. Sighing, I said, "Alright, let her in. Tell her I'll be down in a minute."

Peter nodded and I closed the door, walking back over to my board above my desk. I pulled out a sticky note, wrote down Leslie, and stuck it right next to Luke. I took a piece of string and connected it from Leslie all the way across the board to me.

Looked like we were about to have one more connection.

***

Rachel

Getting back and forth between St. Paul's and town was a bit difficult, so the other Masquerades and I decided to start meeting in the school basement. Matt managed to find a key, so we were able to get in even on the weekends. 

I entered the school, walking around until I found the door to the basement. Slipping inside, I made my way down the dark staircase until I reached the bottom. Matt and Haven were already there, dressed fully in uniform. 

"Matt," I said, "give me an update."

"It wasn't too hard," Matt explained, walking down to take a seat on an old couch. "I knew I'd get him to say yes eventually, it was just a matter of when. Damien's return seems to have shaken him up a little bit."

I nodded. "I figured it would. I doubt this is what Daisy had in mind."

"Have you heard from her?" Haven asked with a bit of disgust slipping out.

"I have, actually," I said, knowing exactly who she was returning to. "Everything seems to be going as planned. It's complicated, but we'll get there."

"Isn't everything about this complicated?" Matt asked. 

He did have a point. I started pacing back and forth. "I've gotten a few texts from the Mystery Masquerade. Their story has stayed mostly the same--they're from St. John's, they knew Daisy, and they want to help. I've gotten no names, not even a gender, or I have no way of tracking them down."

"Do they even know what we're doing?" Haven asked.

I shrugged. "I honestly have no idea. I don't want to give too much info away to someone who might use it against us, so I haven't said much. This person could ruin everything if we're not careful."