1; the very beginning

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.

Avena Detroit pulled away from Draco Malfoy out of breath. A small smirk played on her lips as she pulled her curly brown hair out of her eyes. He grinned resting his forehead on hers, his hands still on her hips as they stood by the Great Hall in silence staring into each others eyes. The chemistry and attraction between the two had been obvious but it hadn't been until third year Avena had made her move. Apparently the all powerful Draco Malfoy hadn't been able to ask out a girl so she'd taken the initiative. The two of the were so compatible, so in sync and had become the very bane of many student's existences. Particularly the Golden Trio who both of them equally despised.

"I love you," Draco whispered to her causing a small, rarely heard giggle to escape her lips. He quirked an eyebrow not saying something for she would instantly shut him down. Whilst Draco Malfoy was something to mess with Avena Detroit was by far more cunning and capable of ruining things for you.

"Detroit! Malfoy!" The two looked up to see Professor McGonagall stalking over to them, her robes swishing around her feet. "You know very well that the champions will be announced tonight," Noticing her words not convincing either student she let out an exasperated groan and shooed them away, "Go!"

Both teenagers smirked before opening the large wooden doors into the Great Hall. Most of the students were all ready their, the competing schools sitting in their designated seats. The Beauxbatons sitting elegantly in blue with the Ravenclaws whilst the Durmstrang wizards sat with Avena's house, Slytherin.

The students ignored them, most of their attention focused on the glowing Goblet of Fire. Otherwise they were talking furiously, all taking bets on whom had been chosen to be their schools champion. Personally Avena couldn't have cared, this Tri-wizard tournament was bound to go wrong some way. After all there was a reason it stopped happening. Yet a small part of Avena was also jealous that she wasn't old enough to enter.

They sat down at their table Draco slinging an arm around her waist as she cast a wary glance around at the students before looking down at her nails. Across from her sat Durmstrang's pride and joy Victor Krum, the world class Bulgarian Quidditch Seeker. The amount of screaming that had taken place after the girls had found out he was there, had made Avena want to puke. The guy wasn't exactly a heart throb.

A hush fell over the students as Albus Dumbledore stood up, "It is time..." he grinned raising a hand to silence the students, "The Champion Selection," excitement rippled through the students as his voice echoed through the room. Dumbledore walked towards the fire which seemed to acknowledge he was there. Avena held her breathe as the flames leapt higher into the sky changing colours. It became bright red and a piece of paper flew out of the flames before it resumed to his normal colours.

Dumbledore caught it and the entire school seemed to watch with baited breath, "And the Durmstrang champion is.... Victor Krum,"

Avena wasn't surprised in the slightest as he stood up making his towards Dumbledore. The applause he received was loud and deafening, a girl next to her was screaming her heart out. Krum was pleased with himself clearly but still remained stoic.

The fire turned red yet again, this time a slightly different shade and another sheet of paper flew out. This time the paper was lacy and fluttered in the air longer than Krum's had. Dumbledore caught it graceful and read it before,

"Fleur Delacour," he read out and possibly the most beautiful girl she had even seen stood up. A Beauxbaton student obviously, most likely half veela too by the way everyone in the room watched her move. Her hair seemed to shimmer as she gracefully seemed to float over to Dumbledore. Avena elbowed Draco harshly in the chest in an effort to stop him from gawking, immediately disliking the girl.

"And for Hogwarts," Dumbledore raised his hand catching the piece of paper out of the red fire. Avena's eyes were focused more on the blue fire than Dumbledore unwrinkling the paper. "Cedric Diggory,"

The Hufflepuff table erupted as Draco snorted next to her. Almost all of the Slytherin table were looking incredulously over at the grinning boy who was making his way over to Dumbledore. All the Hogwarts students were clapping and begrudgingly Avena joined along watching the Hufflepuff.

Then there was a gasp and a few shouts and all the students looked over at the now red fire. They waited with baited breathes, no one really understood what was happening until a piece of paper flew out of the flames into Dumbledore's hands. He read it, eyebrows raising in surprise before,

"Harry Potter,"

It had been several days since Harry Potter's name had been called out of the Goblet of Fire yet the anger it had caused was yet to die down. Almost everyone was spewing that he had somehow managed to get it in and that the teachers were letting it slide. Of course the boy who lived could get away with anything. Yet right now that was on the back of Avena Detroit's mind. The hallway was quiet as she walked down it a scowl set upon her face.

"Draco?" she called out shortly, "I swear if you don't come here right now I'll hex you so hard-" She stopped letting out a frustrated groan. The git had said he'd be here, and now here she was, here she had been. Standing by the gargoyle statue waiting for her boyfriend so they could celebrate their anniversary. She was angry, and Draco should have known better than to get the most powerful witch in the school angry.

She heard a giggle from a broom closet near by and whipped around. Of course she suspected the worse as she pulled out her wand and walked slowly towards the door. She rested a hand on the wizened oak door hesitantly. The way she saw it she was either wrong or right. In this one case she didn't want to be right. She shook her head as she thought, Avena Detroit never doubted herself. So she pushed open the door.

Draco Malfoy and a beautiful blonde haired girl sprang apart as Avena raised an eyebrow. She wasn't so much upset as she was pissed. The smirking girl was a Slytherin called Anastasia Smirmisk, a few years older than then and undeniably beautiful. In fact, just looking at her made Avena's stomach knot itself. It was a weird feeling, insecurity was something she had never felt before but watching a beautiful girl, a girl far more beautiful than her, making out with her boyfriend.... It came in bucket loads.

"I can explain-" Draco began stopping as Avena raised her wand and hexed the two of them, the Bat Bogey Hex made the scene bittersweet. She spun on her heels stalking off, a storm brewing in her mind. She was so angry and slightly hurt that when she saw a tall boy turn the corner and start walking towards her she knew what to do.

In a few strides she was in front of the boy leaning up to kiss him and in seconds she was. The boy seemed shocked but kissed her back placing his hands on her waist and Avena couldn't help but smile against his lips as she knew full well Draco Malfoy was watching.