Caliburn's Wrath

Ector called out without hesitation, "Merlin! What are you doing here? Wait, never mind that question, what do you know about our mission?"

"A servant of Nimue came to me to help you three…Hmm that had an odd rhyme to that statement, ah well, I digress. I, of course, accepted without question. I have a particular debt to repay her, one that may never be truly repaid." Ector pondered the last statement but thought it best to ask later.

"Will we be honored to have the legendary sorcerer join us in our quest?" asked Llewiquin.

"I will accompany you as much as I can be useful to you, but I will have to leave before the journey's end in order to protect our future king's crown."

"Shall I ask what that entails," asked Ector.

"Not yet, but rest assured all will be revealed before too long."

"Oh good, that puts all my worries aside."

"I wouldn't be so bold, you have yet to see whom you will face to achieve triumph in your quest."

Ector looked blankly at the wizard, "I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing that."

"Actually, this knowledge will be vital to this quest's conclusion."

"And now I am thoroughly confused."

The Fae prince spoke, "My friends, I hate to break up this thrilling conversation, but we still have a maiden to save."

The other came down the path until they came upon a small monastery, a nun was attending some of the plants that lined the pathway leading to the first building.

“Merlin, I thought only you use this path?” asked Ector.

“I do, these people use the road three miles up from here. They do not feel the need to go towards Avalon, too much connection with the old heathen past of Britannia.”

Merlin approached the woman, "Excuse me good sister, but we are looking for the Mount of St. George. Would you be so kind as to direct us to where this is located?"

The woman stood upright in fear at the name of the mount, "Gentlemen, I would beseech you all to reconsider that action. There are monsters of fierce and evil souls, unsurpassed by none other than Lucifer himself. It would be foolish for four men to lose their lives in order to try and kill such foul creatures."

Ector rode up next to Merlin, "My lady, it matters little how dangerous these beast are, they have a woman in their possession who is need of rescue, and as long as these abominations are terrorizing these lands, they will find justice at the end of my blade."

"And who are you who would give such an air of victory?"

"I am a man who believes that might does not make right. And this beast will learn this lesson personally before the next dawn rises again."

"I will pray to your memory when I hear of your fate. But God speed nonetheless. The creatures’ lair is about twenty miles west from here. Take care, and go with God."

The party traveled down the path, riding along the crest of a winding ridge, gradually lifting them far above the tops of the trees until they could see the sun setting down into the earth. The reddish hue of the bright star faded as the sky slowly turned from a rich pink and into a blanket of black.

Merlin turned to Ector, who was amazed at the sight, "The night predicts blood will be spilled tonight. Ready your sword, the night will be filled with great peril."

Ector turned to answer Merlin, but the mage was nowhere to be seen.

"Where has Merlin gone off too?" demanded Llewiquin.