Chapter Twenty Nine

"Say yes...please?"

"It's funny how denial works."

Derek furrowed his brows when the car came to a halt in front of a rugged building which was dismantled and had a pretty nasty appearance to eyes.

"What are we doing here?" Derek turned to look Iris.

"You needed an escape. I needed to breathe." Iris shrugged and unbuckled her belt.

"And this escape is?"

Iris sighed deeply and turned to look at Derek who was looking at her suspiciously.

"The infamous battleground." Iris smirked and clasped her hand together.

Derek raised his brow and looked at Iris disbelievingly, "The paintball joint?"

Iris grinned and nods her head vigorously.

Derek's breath got hitched when he saw Iris's face radiate with happiness. Her eyes transcends into tranquillity he longs for. It gives him peace and contentment.

"What have you done to Iris?" Derek asked looking at her intently with furrowed brows.

"Well, I slit her throat and shoved her body somewhere near Antarctica."

"That's very crafty of you."

Iris chortled and walked out of the car. "So are you coming?"

"Do you really think I wouldn't?"

"I don't know. Maybe you are too scared to lose to me."

"Me? Miss Hadrienal, I never lose."

"Hah. Funny, Mr. Christopher because I am a born winner."

"We will see to that." Derek said as he moved out of the car and walk up to Iris who was waiting for him outside the building.

Both of them walked inside the building which was nothing but scraps of cement toppled on the floor, half standing walls were covered with graffiti and the other half with paintball shots. On the other end of the hall was a big iron door possibly the way to the battleground and beside that there was a counter.

Iris walked up to the counter and bought two tickets for the battleground.

"Let me pay." Derek insisted as Iris paid the cashier.

"We are not on a date." Iris glanced at Derek then turn to look at the cashier who was looking at them in confusion.

"What?" Iris asked the cashier.

"Who will pay?" He asked.

Before Derek could pay Iris snatched Derek's card and gave her card to the cashier, "I'll do," Iris said arching a brow at Derek.

Derek shook his head and raised his hand in surrender smiling.

"Let's bet." Derek suggested as the man behind the counter handed them their armour and guns.

Iris arched her brow.

"What?" Derek asked

"No bet." She said while strapping herself.

"What, are you afraid?"

"Derek, I am smarter than this. I won't get lured into this trap."

"Iris."

"Derek."

Derek gazed at Iris raising his brow and smile wryly.

"Fine" Iris shook her head and inhaled sharply, "Just because-"