Leave Behind > Julian Brandt (I)

I walked over to the table, a cup of coffee in each hand. Julian looked up when he heard my footsteps, thumping lowly against the wooden floorboard. In the second our eyes met, I could already anticipate something was amiss.

"Thanks, babe," he smiled meekly at me. I took my seat beside him, and watched as he anxiously stared into the cup. "Is something wrong?"

He looked up at me, and for a fleeting moment I saw grief in his eyes. "Remember when I said Sevilla are interested in me?" He asked me, his voice soothingly gentle. I nodded slowly. The Spanish club had been keeping tabs on him for as long as I could remember.

Julian glanced away for a second, before looking me right in the eye. The sadness in his eyes was back, and suddenly I realized what he was trying to convey to me. "You're not going, right?"

A small sigh escaped his lips and he gazed into his cup again. I stared at him, waiting for him to laugh and tell me he was going nowhere. Waiting for him to say this was all a joke. But he simply looked at me, the sadness now evident on his face.

"No -" I muttered, not wanting to believe it. He swiftly took my hands into his. "It will be good for my career, Cathy, a great advancement," he tried to explain himself.

But all I could think about was his absence in my life. How would I see him? Or, when for that matter? "You're leaving me?" I uttered weakly.

His grip on my hands tightened, "come with me, Cathy."

I shook my head as the tears began to well in my eyes. "You know I can't." I had gotten my first job merely two days ago. To add to that, my family had just moved into a new apartment. I had been elated. My life was here; in Leverkusen.

"We'll figure something out," he eventually said. But I knew it was only wishful thinking. "What is there to figure out?" I demanded. "I won't see you for months. I can't touch you, I can't kiss you," I said, my view of him getting blurry as the tears built up in my eyes.

Julian shifted himself in his seat, his hands still firmly around mine. "I'll call you every single day."

"You know it's not the same," I whispered, letting the tears roll down my cheeks. He would be miles away, in the distant city of Seville. He would be practically out of my reach. "I can't live like that, Julian. Not being able to see the person I love whenever I wish."

Julian sighed, and I wondered if I could change his mind. I reached out to touch his cheek. When I did that, it was normally to kiss him. It was normally when we were happy. But it was different that day. "Can you, not go?"

He looked at me as if he expected me to already know the answer to that. And judging from his expression, I could guess. "Okay," I muttered, pulling my hands away from his. I stood up, walking to the couch to fetch my bag.

"Cathy, you know how important this is to me," he stood up, and his chair dragged against the floor loudly. I paused to look back at him, "I know." The tears were still gradually falling down my cheeks. "So goodbye then, Julian."

I quickly continued for the door as I heard him scurrying over to me. I hastened my pace, hurrying toward the open lift. "Cathy, wait." Julian shouted for me as I entered the lift, but I swiftly pressed the CLOSE button. I couldn't face him.

"Cathy, wait!" That was the last thing I heard before the doors closed between us.

I leaned against the wall, trying to calm my breathing. I couldn't continue that conversation. My heart was pounding in my chest, and I ran a hand through my hair to try and steady myself. But the picture of Julian's face wouldn't leave my mind. My love was leaving me.

As the lift came to life, to bring me back to the ground, I broke down. Slowly, I let myself slide down to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. My love was leaving me, and I could do nothing. I covered my mouth with my hands and let myself cry my heart out.

Because when people leave, those that get hurt the most are those they leave behind.

------

A sad little one shot. I'm sorry! hahaha. As requested by @allidaven Hope y'all liked it!