T w o

「  T W O

「  T W O   」

:

"Hey Scarlett"

I'm taking from my thoughts by the voice of a girl I've known since I started at Gotham High school. Her name is Jupiter.

I hardly remember her last name. She doesn't like people knowing it.

She's a lot like me. She's lived in Gotham her entire life and somehow can't get herself to leave. Jupiter lives further into down town Gotham, more crime happens down there, people don't seem to care, well the residents at least. I guess they just gave up crying for help.

It's not like anyone listens—

I stare up at her as she begins to sit beside me on the lush perky grass outside our schools cafeteria.
Turns out our weather is very bipolar. One minute it's toxic raindrops that can turn into a flash flood making it look like you've swam in your clothes or it can be cloudy with a little slither if sunlight. Just enough to radiate some heat.

"Hey." I smile as she begins to take out her lunch. " How was your summer with your dad?" The mention of her father causes her to unnaturally hesitate, wince in a way.

" step-dad." She gritted her teeth trying to hide the anger of his name being used "it was—it was great." She spluttered tumbling over her own words as she begins to unwrap her sandwich from its tin foil. Her eyes observing the blades of grass like her life depended on it. By some grace of god something would happen. Trying to disguise the pain that had flickered in her eyes.

" it—it wasn't great was it."

Jupiter froze up. Her body tensing, her hands growing limp un-unable to hold up the weight of her sandwich.

That was when I noticed the bruises. The imperfections that tainted her skin. Red, black and blue smudges of pain and conflict littered around her wrist, forearm and a small barely noticeable gash lay discreetly within her eyebrow. A deeper meaning lingering behind each one.

" Did—what happened..."

Something I'd learnt about Jupiter is that her step father wasn't a very nice man. He could be wicked and cruel but show compassion and kindness. That wasn't until recently he began to loose his compassion, his kindness fading away, by every day more seemed to evaporate from his pores into the air.

" It was Greg—." Was all she managed to say before the tears fell from her eyes. My heart dropping as I watched her break down, my arms naturally encasing her in warmth and security.