CHAPTER 12

The next two days passed in a blur. The man was truly a workaholic, Nandini had to admit. He could work nonstop for several days and still not get tired. She barely had time to breathe as she noted down minutes of the meetings, made phone calls, adjusted appointments, fixed new meetings, remembered schedules, typed letters, made time tables, reminded Manik of his other meetings, made sure he had his meals on time and did a lot of work. By the time she reached her room, she barely had the energy to change her clothes. But next morning, she had to be there on time and continue with the work.

The busy schedule didn't allow her to have a personal conversation with Manik. He was always busy and so was she. He was always there within reach, yet, he was never there. He made sure she got coffee and ate well but he did it because it was his duty as a boss. She was sure he used to take care of his previous PA in the same way. He was such a kind of man after all. But there was never any warmth, any affection, not even a glimpse from care from his side. It was as if she was a robot who needed her battery charged from time to time and he was making sure that it remained charged.

It hurt her more and more but of course, she couldn't say anything. He was polite but cool. They were together but distant and it was making her insane. The only good thing nowadays was the demanding work she had. It made her too busy and tired to dwell upon her heart. It was a relief when Manik announced that now they were free till New Year. The entire staff clapped and after wishing each other for New Year they left.

Nandini sighed. Now she had holidays but she had no idea how to spend them. Two days were left in Christmas and she was thinking how to pass the time. Had she been in New York, she would have gone to the place of Aryaman and Riddhima but now she was in Jaipur and did not know anyone here. As far as she knew, she wouldn't be seeing Manik at least till New Year. That was even more painful.

She decided to go for sight-seeing. Now that she had a steady employment and enough money from her last job she could be comfortable for a few months. She could afford to indulge herself for some time. She wished her father was here. It would have been so much fun to explore Jaipur with him.

She heard a knock on her door. Wondering who could it be and hoping it was Manik, she went and opened it.

"Hi" Navya said with a warm smile.

"Hi. Come in" Nandini said with an equally warm smile.

"So how is it, working for my workaholic brother?" Navya asked as she sat on the bed.

"Honestly, unexpected. I'm used to working a lot, but it was nothing compared to this" Nandini replied with a laugh.

"I know. I've assisted him before"  Navya laughed.

"You have?" Nandini was surprised.

"Yeah. I assisted him when he opened a store in London. My god! I didn't get the chance to sit on my butt for three days. I couldn't understand why he worked so much. Then I realized it was so that he could finish the job before time and then give a few days off to the staff."

"So that's why he did so much of work" Nandini realized as understanding dawned on her. "Now there's no tension till New Year."

"Exactly. Crazy but smart, isn't it?"

"True" Nandini agreed.

"Now he's free and ready to spend some time with us which reminds me, we are planning to see the entire Jaipur tomorrow. Manik has booked an amazing family bus. And, you are joining us" she finished firmly.

"Me? But it's a family trip. How can I-?"

"Don't you remember what mom had said? You are a part of family now. And I'm not asking you, I'm telling you" Navya used the authority of friendship.

"Navya-"

"Excuse me." Navya held up a hand. "Are we friends now?" Without waiting for an answer, she nodded. "Good. Nandini, you are coming with us. I'm not having it any other way."

Nandini looked at her carefully. "You're very bossy. How come I didn't realize that?"

Navya chuckled. "Runs in the family. So, are you coming?"

Nandini smiled. "Do I have a choice?"

Navya grinned. "No"

Navya stepped in the dining hall where her whole family except Manik were enjoying their tea. Mrs. Malhotra looked at her and came to know from her face what the news was. But then, she had known it beforehand. Her daughter was smart.

She smiled and raised her cup to Navya. "Good job" she said.

"She agreed?" Abhimanyu asked in an impressed voice.

"Were you expecting anything else?" Navya grinned.

"No. You are a champ" Abhimanyu raised his cup of tea to her.

'It's high time our big brother settles down" Navya said as she sat beside Cabir and laid her head on his shoulder.

"I like Nandini. She would be good for Manik" Cabir said as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"And Manik would be good for her. That girl needs love" Alya said with a smile as she kept a watchful eye on all the children playing nearby.

"And Manik has it for her. He knows this" Dhruv  spoke as he raised his wife's hand to his lips.

"His head just needs to catch up with his heart" Aniket, Sasha's husband chuckled.

"There's some sort of tension between them" Sasha said with a sigh. She had accepted that Nandini and her brother Manik looked perfect the moment she had seen them together.

"True. But it will go away" Mr. Rajan said confidently.

"How?" Sasha asked with a smile. Despite having the perfect man in her life, her dad was still her hero.

"By giving him the right push" Mr. Rajan grinned.

"What do you think mom?" Mukti chuckled.

"It gets lonely when all your daughters get married and leave you. It would be good to have a daughter at home" Mrs. Nyonika said thoughtfully.

"It's going to be an interesting couple of days" Mukti smirked.

All the four sisters looked at each other and grinned. It was going to be fun to watch their brother on the hot seat!