Chapter 1

1. The Coal in Distress

Have you ever wondered if everything was decided from the moment you were born? That there is some sort of Grand Purpose you are destined to complete?

It's etched on your skin, just like a birthmark that doesn't fade away when you grow up. It's in your blood, where it circulates around your body, and it ends up defining who you are. It's somewhere. It's in you, but it doesn't reveal itself until the correct time. That's what the Grand Purpose is— an enigma.

I know my Grand Purpose. Or maybe I sort of know what it is. I should be proud for knowing what it is when I was 15 four years ago, but the fact that I'm moving nowhere close to it makes me feel like stopping.

It feels like I've done nothing except for indulging in being vain.

The VVIP suite of the restaurant shows a full view of Portland at this height. Enjoying these little luxuries is another one in my mental tally of my vain acts, because sometimes I forget who I am. Who I really am. A Rust. Nothing more.

I let it slip by once more, because I'm nothing
But a vain person.

The view is supposed to be fascinating, my client said. But I can't help but cringe. The skies have an unusual color. Ashen clouds hang low, only waiting to pour down over this dense and packed city. The only impression I have of the Diamonds area at this moment is that they look like a bottomless pit.

The railing is completely tansparent, giving a clear view of the horizon. Skyscrapers, hovercars and floating ads are blinking with multiple colors, shooting chromatic bursts of light. But I can see why Diamonds think this is a beautiful sight. The clashing colors almost look like a kaleidoscope, and they say this is a rare occurrence.

I have wanted to see the stars for a long time. I just realized this after I've had enough of the Diamonds. With not a lot of time on your hands, of course you would focus on the important matters first. I can relate to that in a spiritual level. Often times I would overlook the things surrounding me. But there is an exception to that, because I'm quite sharp when it comes to people.

"Hawk, I'm Robert Uchida. I come here representing Lesley Coals, Inc. to make a deal with you," The man in front of me smiles a bit too wide, like he is trying to make a good impression. But all Diamonds are like that anyway. Image is the top priority for Diamonds after all.

His black hair is gelled back under a fedora hat. A jagged scar runs from his jaw towards his nose. His eyes crinkle when they smile, making him look like every other old man. But the style that he is sporting, a white suit over a fuchsia shirt proved otherwise.

The whole Republic of North America, or RNA divides its citizens by financial condition in 3 castes, The Diamonds, Gems, the last and the least, the Rusts. And this man— Robert Uchida he said, is a Diamond.

He reaches his hand for me. I accept his hand with a light grip, shaking it reluctantly. "I go by Hawk, but you know that already," I say, my eyes meeting his brown, calculating ones.

"I have a mission that I need you to accomplish, as discussed from our previous... negotiation," he places his elbows on the table, lacing his fingers together. I nod, gesturing him to go on. "Our company extracts, refines and distributes coals. Our HQ is in Cheyenne, in the province of Wyoming, but Portland is our main customer. We will send it to Portland next week, but..." He explains.

"You suspect someone will hijack it along the way?" I guess.

"Yes," he nods, although I notice that he frowns for a split second.