feelings

SEBASTIAN STUDIED THE contents of his phone screen intently, a frown falling onto his face as he looked over the picture of Reyna that Chris had posted on Instagram. He didn't need to read over Aaron's comment to know that she had been crying. He knew Reyna better than anyone did, and he knew that although in the picture she appeared as if she were happy, she was far from it. Her eyes gave her away, as did the way she played with her hands in the picture. The sight of it upset him, but it upset him worse to know that he was the reason for her tears in the first place.

Throughout the many years they had been in each other's lives, Reyna and Sebastian had definitely had their differences with one another. None of those differences, however, resulted in tears from either one of them. After Sebastian had broken Reyna out of her shyness, it was almost impossible to make her cry about anything unless she had to do so for one of her roles. She hadn't even shed a tear when Sebastian left for college due to the fact she knew she would see him again soon. She was strong, but now it seemed as if she was only getting weaker.

With a sigh, Sebastian locked his phone and sat it down on the coffee table in front of him. In an instant his mind began to overwhelm him with thoughts regarding the conversation he had had with the group after Reyna had left. Anthony's words played over and over again inside his mind, and no matter how hard he tried to remove them from the soft tissues of his jumbled brain, he couldn't. All he do was sit and allow the information regarding Reyna's supposed feelings for him find a place inside.

Reyna had been the constant in Sebastian's life for fifteen years; she had been there for him through everything. Reyna was his best friend and one of the most important people in his life, but he never would've thought he would ever see her as something more. In fact, he didn't want to think of her as anything more than just his best friend—he was dating Margarita for crying out loud—but now, as he sat contemplating the last fifteen years he'd spent with her, he couldn't help but let his thoughts and feelings wander.

Sebastian could recall times in which Reyna had looked at him differently than she ever had before, though at the time he decided to leave it alone. He could remember a time he began to feel differently towards Reyna, but he could also remember allowing his fear to dictate his need to get rid of that feeling as soon as possible. It was only now that he realized he had spent so many years living his life with Reyna the way he did because he was too afraid to face the truth, the truth being his undeniable feelings for Reyna.

He would not act on those feelings, though—he couldn't. Despite the fact that he had finally allowed himself to accept his feelings, that fear still remained. Their friendship was too important to him, and he couldn't even begin to fathom how important his relationship with Margarita had become to him. He wanted to focus on her—he wanted to focus on making their relationship work this time, and if he was able to do that then he hoped he would be able to get over his very unwelcome feelings for Reyna. If he managed that, he wouldn't have to live in fear of screwing things up for the two of them, at least no more than he already had.

"Hey," Margarita spoke, tearing Sebastian out of his thoughts.

He looked up at her, an automatic smile coming onto his face as he looked at her. "Hey, sweetheart."

Margarita sat down beside him on the couch, placing her hand on the small of his back. "You seem upset. What's bothering you?"

"Nothing," Sebastian assured her, giving his head a slight shake. "Absolutely nothing. I have you, so things are about as good as they could get at the moment."

"How sweet of you," Margarita chuckled as she leaned in to kiss him.

Sebastian's lips met her own, though the only face he could see inside his head as they did was Reyna's.