Five

Jeon Wonwoo had thought that the first time he had sat down with Kim Mingyu and his friends was the most awkward experience of his very emo life, but it became very apparent to him as he was heading over to the table in the cafeteria near the water cooler that boy, was he in for a situation at least double the amount of uncomfortableness.

Mingyu sat by himself, headphones plugged into his ears, drumming his fingers on an open textbook in front of him. Wonwoo wondered wether to escape from the whole plan before Mingyu even noticed he was walking towards him. But Kim Mingyu was an expert in making Wonwoo's life as excruciatingly cringey as he could possibly make it, intentionally or not, so he just had to glance upwards and see Wonwoo just standing by the table.

Mingyu's face broke out into a smile. "How long were you standing there?" he asked, pulling the headphones out and wrapping them round his hand before slipping them into his jeans pocket.

"Not long," Wonwoo lied. If he had said 'a while' which was the length he had actually been waiting, he was pretty sure that would have made him seem like a weirdo. And the boy with eyeliner and girl's jeans didn't really need to have any more weirdness to add to his obviously amazing reputation around school.

Wonwoo took a seat opposite Mingyu, who closed the textbook and moved it to one side. He decided against his normal route of silence and awkwardness and summed up the courage to initiate the conversation for once. "What were you listening to?" he asked, sounding unintentionally blunt and kicking himself under the table for his blunder.

"Do you know twenty one pilots?" Mingyu replied. Wonwoo honestly felt like screeching with delight right then and there.

"They're one of my favourite bands," he answered.

"I only know Stressed Out," Mingyu continued, "I was listening to that. Hey, you could show me some more of their stuff."

"Yeah," said Wonwoo.

They sat in an uncomfortable silence for a while, Mingyu occasionally checking notifications on his phone and Wonwoo pretending to get notifications while secretly checking Neko Atsume and wishing he would get notifications from an actual human being and not Candy Crush Saga.

Mingyu finally broke the silence. "What other music do you like?"

Wonwoo blinked. He thought it was pretty damn obvious what things he was into by his whole entire appearance, not the mention the My Chemical Romance shirt he was wearing. "Rock," he replied simply.

"No shit, Sherlock," Mingyu laughed, "any bands I'd know of?"

"No," Wonwoo responded, "unless you frequently scroll through the bandom tag on tumblr."

"I don't," Mingyu said, that fucking angelic smile still gracing his features, "do you know Fall Out Boy?"

"Yeah," Wonwoo replied.

"They did that one song for Big Hero 6, I think. I have a cousin who likes them."

"Cool."

Wonwoo officially decided that this time sitting with Mingyu was even more uncomfortable than the first and he made a note to himself to never start off a conversation again, especially not about music.

"Sorry," Wonwoo blurted out, earning a confused frown from the taller boy opposite him.

"Why are you apologising?" Mingyu asked, "if it's about the shitty conversation then I think I'm as much to blame as you."

Wonwoo smiled a little at that. "Okay."

"You're a cool guy," Mingyu said, making eye contact with Wonwoo and smiling which, though his face was still completely straight, made him literally feel like the embodiment of an anime schoolgirl.